Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 16 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new (the dark moon) on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. This is a rare "Black Moon," the third new moon in a season with four new moons. Each season has three months and three new moons. When a season has four new moons, the third new moon is sometimes called a "Black Moon" in popular culture.

Everyone have a wonderful, safe, and healthy week!!!

• Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIANE. I hope your wildlife came and serenaded you.

Nanny duty is getting harder or I am getting older! School pickup fine, so too delivery to swim lesson. But washing 3 heads of hair . . . Dau’s hand started paining and she could not get tea. I heated some saus rolls that s-i-l had made and Trio were happy. Dau managed a few. Trio must have hollow legs. S-i-l home from work while I was hanging a load of washing. A very lazy day for me today.

• Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet to see who they really are. (Will Ferrell)

I haven’t spoken to my wife in years. I didn’t want to interrupt her. (Rodney Dangerfield)

Marriage has no guarantees. If that’s what you’re looking for, go live with a car battery. (Emma Bombeck)

• HEATHER - I think J has the beginnings of osteoarthritis in his knees - the left more than the right. I first had it at his age, and his could have been affected by radiotherapy too. He drove himself into Dumfries yesterday and avoided the steeper parts. It will be interesting to see whether the stairs at work affect him today. I hope you are feeling brighter by now and that the family are calmer again.

AQ - sounds as if it's time you and your Daughter (and maybe Son-in-law) sat down and had a good chat about how much you are able to do to help. You really do a lot for one day and need to slow down.

Had a busy day dealing with a garden harvest yesterday - some veg into the freezer. I find it painful prepping runner beans, but OH just can't do them! Cleaning day today - majoring on the lounge and hallway - but I shall be working on the church magazine.
  • Love the quotes, AQ! Well done on getting through your Emergency Nanny Duty so well: I wouldn't have liked to have to wash three heads of hair, either. Your poor daughter, she must be finding it a real bind not being able to do things. Great that you've now planned a lazy day - get a book out and do nothing else!

I hope that OG is feeling better today. Also that Annette's carpeting goes well: your house will be a real showpiece by the time you're done, Annette!

Heather, hope that you've been resting and gathering up your strength.

I've been looking at alternatives for our blinds in our bedroom: the old ones are decidedly shabby now but its difficult as the largest window is very wide indeed: my OH had a word with the builder when the windows were put in, and said he wanted a "panoramic view of the fields" which is indeed lovely, but with a roller blind on the width, it is difficult. He won't have venetian or anything, so that just leaves putting up curtains and then tying them back as best I can to keep most of the view, on view. Saw some samples yesterday when I was cruising around M&S and realised that they do indeed make curtains to order as well as off the shelf. May try to cost that out and decide.

Off to write some emails, and apply for our TV Licence: did anyone else have to begin to pay for it, this year, as my OH is over 75 now he was highly peeved to find that we are now going to be charged.

Everyone else:  have a good day!!

• Lindybird said:
    and apply for our TV Licence: did anyone else have to begin to pay for it, this year, as my OH is over 75 now he was highly peeved to find that we are now going to be charged.

Hi Lindy.

On the notification , we were sent earlier.informing us we would need to start paying this year.We were told to wait for another letter, from them before reapplying.

There are a lot of scams doing rounds, e.mails etc saying you need to reinstate your details etc....DONT 

• Thanks, SunnyKate - we got an official letter from the Licensing which had lots of forms and booklets in it, etc. explaining the new rules. I decided to set up a direct debit online and it seems to have gone OK.

I read about there being lots of scams on this: I never trust emails now, of any kind!
  • Well done Lindy,

Because funnily enough this morning I had a spam, saying your Direct debit has been stopped etc etc
    so,when I saw your post I thought it was worth mentioning.

• Thank you SunnyKate. I'm always open to advice!

I have a lot of fun with the phone scams. Some of them fall about laughing so much, they forget their script!!!
  • Morning all:   Not so muggy here but hazy with smoke from all the fires up north that has blown down the coast to us.  Carpeting guys are here; thrilled that we moved much of the furniture. The guy said they'd been working at a house recently where the family (with small kids), had apparently just got up normally and left the house without doing a thing to prepare for them - lots of toys, Lego pieces and popcorn all over the floors.  

AQ;  I'm wondering if OG might not have a point about taking a break.  You seem to be doing more than ever and from my own experience, the more we do, the more folks expect us to do, especially when we're competent, efficient and uncomplaining!   What's with your daughter's hand?

Lindybird:  They make those fabric shades now with alternate sheer and opaque horizontal panels that you can adjust.  Good luck with that project.

I see more of The Orange Menace's friends have been indicted.  I'm waiting for a tweet saying "Steve Bannon?  I've heard the name but ...."

• OG & ANNETTE - Thank you for advice but I only help when it is an emergency. Dau’s hand is still swollen twice the size, she’s been xrayed & again to doc. Her OH has an understanding boss and he’s been working from home. Once a week he has a meeting he must attend, otherwise he works at home & takes his “lunch hour” at school pickup & delivery time. A nearby friend is having chemo, other rellies too far away, my OH can’t drive. I do pace myself and sit down between chores which are only the essentials – food, clean clothes. Dau expects her hand to be usable next week. I know what it is like not to have someone to help.

Food shop this morn (deferred from Wed). It hailed on the way, heavy rain when I reached carpark & it only got worse, umbrella blew inside out, then I had a trolley with a wonky wheel. On the positive side, few people were out shopping. OH is home for lunch. I’m not surprised. (I bought mini pizzas from bakery.) I am re-reading an Elizabeth George, enjoying the behaviour of He-who-dunnit throughout the book. That should take up the afternoon very nicely.