Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 16 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new (the dark moon) on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. This is a rare "Black Moon," the third new moon in a season with four new moons. Each season has three months and three new moons. When a season has four new moons, the third new moon is sometimes called a "Black Moon" in popular culture.

Everyone have a wonderful, safe, and healthy week!!!

• Not too hot here today - distributed the remaining oranges to a few neighbors, did a very few garden chores the started moving things out of the bedrooms and closets in preparation for the new carpeting on Thursday. My room looks like a charity shop!! OH went through his closet and is getting rid of an amazing amount of old clothes (read: clothes that are a little snug!). Thing is, our favorite charity group has temporarily closed its facility due to Covid. Not much else to report. Stay well all.
  • Hallett Cove Conservation Park is 20 km south of Adelaide city centre. It is known for its geological formations – I remember a school excursion where I took photos of the Sugarloaf with my parents’ box brownie camera. This newly-released website gives virtual tours, otherwise still pics of Sugarloaf, etc.

• Morning!! --- --- Our internet has been off again <sigh> -- My OH saw lots of workmen up the road near where some builders have been excavating, so it's possible that they had dug in the wrong place and cut about 200 households off!!

Back later.
  • Good afternoon from sunny (for now) Suffolk. Ive been into work for a sales meeting but as I am still not well with this horrid chest infection I will be on furlough for the rest of this week.

I saw the doc again on Friday and she spent a lot of time listening to my back which she said was making lots of noise so I still have congestion that needs to clear. Having had 2 courses of different antibiotics she has prescribed a Steroid Inhaler which I have to take twice a day downside is that it can cause thrush in the mouth so she said to swill my mouth after every dose.

At last we had a long downpour yesterday afternoon but when I went and checked the water butt there was hardly anything in it. I have just had it adjusted and raised so may need to get the workman back again.

I too have noticed that the TV signal comes and goes when we have very high pressure.

Just been reading on BBC site that Death Valley in California may have broken all records with a temperature of 130f (54.4c) Wow!

I hope you all have a good week and stay safe.

• Harelady: Sorry to hear you're still suffering with your bad chest: hope the inhaler helps.

AQ: Thanks for the interesting links. Glad your miserable weather perked up a bit!

It brightened up here after a dull start, but rain is supposed to fall later today. Not done laundry as not confident to put it out. Been sorting through some seemingly endless bits of paper put away over the years, and managing to jettison about a half or it. It's hard being someone who keeps things! But I must remember that someone might have to sort through it one day.....

My legs are easing off, but I still seem to totter when I've been sitting for any length of time.

Last night received a pic of Amber buried except for her head, in the sand on the beach. Obviously already having a good holiday. Also, a picture of little Rosie with her third tooth, which took its time arriving. Although she was born with fine hair on her head, she has only recently produced any gnashers! (That word upset my spell checker!)

• Morning all:

AQ:  That's a seriously fascinating link. Thank you!  Such clever young people and you can see the huge benefits of drones when applied to scientific topics.  Have just taken multiple 'tours' of the area (are you close to it?): Sugarloaf reminds me of the formations we saw in The Petrified Forest.

Lindybird:  My friend who was widowed last December is getting ready to move houses and has been cleaning out stuff for months.  She confessed to a brief period of feeling angry at her (much loved) husband "for leaving me all this to clean out!"   So keep up the good work.

Harelady:  I have to use inhalers at various times for allergy-related stuff.  They really do help and yes, it's important to rinse out your mouth and sort of gargle after you've use them.  Good luck.

Off to sort out the world....

• Hello all
    I've given in after a few busy days, feel wiped out and have put pyjamas on!. Friday, step granddaughter came to see me, to discuss her future plans. Sadly she and her boyfriend have come to the decision to part. They have been together for six years, since university. I think that she will come back to Scotland. Saturday, middle daughter came for lunch ( here) and shopping. She cleaned the inside of the conservatory windows for me and discovered two spider like cracks in glass. I hadn't noticed as they all have vertical blinds. The panes are double glazed and it looks as if my gardener - the one I sacked - may have inadvertently thrown up gravel chippings when using his big strimmer. I got very stressed about having to buy new units but have now calmed down! These things happen.... A couple of other family issues popped up and needed some action.
    Today, I cut the grass in the back garden and my back didn't approve!!!! Hence pyjamas on...
    What else can I moan about? I'll have to think :-)
    HARELADY - I'm so sorry that your chest is still not good. I hope the inhaler helps x
    LINDY - I'm pretty certain you're right about the cause of your leg pain. Glad it is easing off.

Now I've forgotten other replies , AQ, OG, ANNETTE,DIANE, PAT, LYNETTE and ALL. P!ease forgive!
  • Heather - nothing to forgive. Hope you are having a nice relaxing evening recovering from your busy few days.

We had some REAL RAIN this morning - which lasted all of three minutes! We need more, please.

Nothing else to report. Have a good week, everyone.
  • Harelady - hope your congestion clears up soon and you will feel a whole lot better. Crickey, 130f, that is hot.

After a somewhat cloudy start and a delayed cricket start, weather picked up and the cricket went ahead only to end in a draw, which seemed inevitable considering the weather over the last few days.

HeatherB - glad you have slowed down. Take it easy, and yes , unfortunately things do happen that there seems no explanation for.

Apparently yesterday there was a torrential downpour in a neighbouring town but we missed all the heavy rain.

Have a good week all.
  • ANNETTE – Hallett Cove is about ½ hour drive, 23 km from us. This morn’s paper suggested the wooden boardwalk should be replaced by one made of recycled plastic from our yellow bin collection.

HARELADY – I hope your latest meds work soon. I’m curious – you don’t mention having a covid test. Here, anyone with any symptoms is asked to have a test (free). S-i-l woke with a husky voice, took himself to testing station and waited at home for 2 days for result – negative. However he has a cold and is working from home as much as possible.

Our health experts say flu & cold number are down this winter and if anyone has any symptoms it is most likely covid. Alas the 20-50 year-old numbers are rising.

OH has gone out to lunch. I hope he returns before the predicted rain.