Loch Insh Osprey success

This seems to have been a difficult year for many nests in Scotland (Loch Arkaig being a shining exception). I thought I would share a blog from RSPB regarding Loch Insh to cheer us up. Ian

community.rspb.org.uk/.../another-successful-year-for-the-loch-insh-ospreys

• What a wonderful read the blog is Thanks for posting IAN If there are spoes round the tree making climbing very difficult, did the young still get ringed?
  • patily said:
    What a wonderful read the blog is Thanks for posting IAN If there are spoes round the tree making climbing very difficult, did the young still get ringed?

Good question Patily & I don't know the answer. A quick trawl through the UK Ospreys site doesn't list any birds ringed at Loch Insh. Given the secrecy that Sheila alluded to, that may not be a surprise. I think the blog said that it took three hours to scale the tree, under those circumstances I would be amazed if chicks were ringed.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can advise if chicks have historically been ringed at Loch Insh. Ian

• I have never heard of any of the chicks being ringed Ian, but I obviously do not know for certain.    I have many photos from 2013-2020 of the chicks around fledging time and I haven’t seen any rings on them when they have been helicoptering from the nest.    

• Thanks IAN and MARY MARY are you able to post any of your pics?
  • patily said:
    MARY are you able to post any of your pics?

I hope MARY doesn't mind but I have 2 Loch Insh pics from her that I put in a folder in 2018.  (Don't all faint that I found it.  There will be more that I'll never find.)

They're both called "Loch Insh male" - Mary will have more comprehensive pics of the nest.

• BTW, re the blog - how great it would be if more UK ospreys could become more accustomed to us humans and our mess and noise - then failed seasons like LOTL would be less likely.

(Not that we know for certain what Laddie and NC0 have been up to, out of our sight.)
  • I don't know if it's because they were young birds, or whether migratory birds are more tolerant, but 2 -3 ospreys that stopped over for 2-3 weeks in Poole

last year were fishing and feeding literally a couple of hundred yards from a dual carriageway, large public footpath, railway line and many buildings.
    It'll be interesting to see if this happens again as a platform was put up to allow them to feed easier.

• While my filing system is usually spot on Scylla Grinning I just don't have the time at the moment to trawl through all the different years to find photos of the juveniles, but knew I did an Video of them one year,  (which was a bit wobbly as it was OH who was doing it) while I was taking the photos LOL....