GLASLYN OSPREYS - AUGUST 2020 to end of FEBRUARY 2021

Link to  july-2020

Bywydd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife website/webcam >  https://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/live/

YouTube Live Stream (with chat) > www.youtube.com/watch

Public Facebook page > https://www.facebook.com/BywydGwylltGlaslynWildlife/

All captures and videos ©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

Blogs and videos to the season so far:

Mrs G returned 21st March, 10:36 > mrs-g-returns

Aran returned 3rd April, 12:08 > aran-returns

First egg laid 13th April, 12:08 > mrs-g-lays-first-egg-of-2020

Second egg laid 16th April, 18:17 > mrs-g-lays-second-egg-of-2020

Third egg laid 19th April, 19:01 > mrs-g-lays-3rd-egg-2020

First hatch 20th May, 10:52 > first-2020-chick-hatches

Second hatch 21st May, 17:59 > second-glaslyn-chick-of-2020-hatches

Third hatch 24th May, 12:52 > third-chick-hatches-on-glaslyn-nest

Chicks ringed 24th June > glaslyn-chicks-are-ringed

KC2 fledged 9th July, 14:48 aged 50 days > kc2-has-fledged

KC3 fledged 14th July, 9:36 aged 54 days > kc3-fledges

KC4 fledged 19th July, 18:44 aged 56 days > kc4-fledges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three juveniles are thriving under Mrs G and Aran's continued care, proving once again what formidable parents they are. Long may the season continue to be be hassle-free as it nears the time for migration

• Much to my surprise I discovered about lunchtime that the Glaslyn YouTube live cam and chat are back up again although the live stream link on their website still is not working!

Edit: Link is  www.youtube.com/watch

Kind regards, Ann

• Yes, good isn't it Gardenbirder   Grinning 

• Heather says on Chat

The plan is to leave the camera on for a few more weeks to try to see the autumn migrating arrivals to the valley. We usually see Redwings, Fieldfares and Starlings, plus the Whooper Swans.

Hoorah
  • Yes, Cirrus, wonderful to see the views from the centre again--makes me want to be there. I can just imagine leaning on the railing of the balcony at the back of the Glaslyn centre, gazing at the small birds on the feeders off to the left just beside the centre, and then looking out to the gorgeous view of the river and toward the mountains and the nest, then spotting the nest and Ospreys through one of the scopes on the balcony. Then a step back into the centre to look at the screen to see clearly what is happening on the nest, and enjoying a cuppa and a chat with Heather and Becci and the visitors and volunteers. Friendly, informative and cosy are our impressions of every visit and we learn something every time. Fingers crossed that we will be able to visit again next June/July. We had to cancel our planned visit there this year, sadly--couldn't face the possibility of picking up the dreaded virus at one of the services stops when travelling between home and Porthmadog (where we have stayed before). Have you ever been to visit either Glaslyn or Dyfi Ospreys, Cirrus?

Kind regards, Ann

• What a lovely post Gardenbirder. Sadly, no I have not been to either Glaslyn or Dyfi or Loch Garten. My only boast was a visit to Mull and the White Tailed Eagle hide. But, one day ...........

• Very nice scenes, CIRRUS :)  I got a lot of today but not a lot in the way of birdies.

This, I think, was the faux osprey nest and a bird was on the perch:

It may have been this pigeony bird, which pottered all around:

"Was a Cormorant replaced by a Heron?"  I've probably got both IDs wrong!  For one thing, I don't think a Cormorant ought to have a white breast :-/  I'm not doing any more googling now Persevere

Oh what fun!

I missed the whole afternoon from 14:00 to gone 19:00 :(  Then got nearly 2 hours with 2 swans:

Heather is leaving the cam on the nest overnight, so I'm hoping for some little visitors in the morning... when I get around to it ;)  Maybe you'll have gazumped me by the time I check in, CIRRUS :-*

IMAGICAT

• Lovely, Scylla, Yep, that is a faux Osprey nest there outside the visitor centre to give visitors, especially children, an idea of how big an Osprey nest can be but I cannot remember if it is exactly to size or if it is a bit smaller than an actual nest. And on YouTube chat Heather says that it was a Cormorant replaced by a Heron. Some Cormorants do have white tummies--cannot remember if they are juveniles or not, but I hope the experts will tell us. That camera seems to be on a pole above the hide which is just a short ways along from the visitor centre, and you can see part of the ramp up to the visitor centre and part of the front balcony and end wall of the centre (in your first 2 captures) just to the right of the faux nest.

Kind regards, Ann