LOCH ARKAIG - AUGUST 2020 TO MARCH 2021. Highlights are Mary GK's and Geemeff's wonderful videos of the 2020 season

August is the month when we've seen the Loch Arkaig ospreys depart on their journey south. We've enjoyed watching them this year - the wonderful parenting skills of Aila and Louis, and the antics of their 3 chicks, Captain, Vera and Doddie. 

Mary GK did an absolutely wonderful video summarising the 2020 season. Thank you so much Mary! And here is Geemeff's great compilation, thank you!

2020 last dates:

Doddie JJ6 was last seen at the nest on Saturday 15th August 2020

Aila was last seen on Saturday 22nd August 2020

Captain JJ7 was last seen on Sunday 23rd August 2020

Vera JJ8 was last seen on Saturday 5 September.

An unidentified osprey was seen off camera on Sunday 6 September eating a fish. This could well have been Louis, having arrived and found no Vera around to feed.

Doddie JJ6 was videod and photographed fishing for over a fortnight at Avalon Marshes in Somerset 

Link to July 2020 thread

Link to Youtube channel

Link to Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig page/webcam feed

• As a postscript to the last fish, JJ6 left soon after arriving so JJ8 got the entire fish to herself. It therefore seems that all chicks have eaten sufficiently today. I am sure it is too early for Aila to be heading south but when was she last seen? Ian
  • MaryGK said:

I know it's not quite the end of the season yet, but I won't be able to do a video once the family have gone in a few weeks time, so I am a bit early.   I have never tried to do a video of a whole season before, so it's been quite a challenge to get it to come in at around 30 minutes. So get in a comfy chair, with cup of coffee/tea or a wee dram in hand and hopefully enjoy the Famous Five.

-------------------------------------------------

Mary, your video is amazing! Brilliant captures, brilliant music and brilliantly put together. Thank you so much! Heart eyes

• 18.05, all three chicks are on the nest as Louis brings in a fish. There is a melee involving I think JJ6 & JJ8. I am not sure of the back and forth but JJ6 has the fish at the moment. Ian

Louis says "get me out of here"!

(c) THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• JJ6 (on the right) definitely standing his ground and retaining the fish despite the advances of JJ8 (I think). See you all tomorrow. Ian

• 18.44, JJ6 flies with the fish, looks like this one is all his. Ian

• Ian S said:
    As a postscript to the last fish, JJ6 left soon after arriving so JJ8 got the entire fish to herself. It therefore seems that all chicks have eaten sufficiently today. I am sure it is too early for Aila to be heading south but when was she last seen? Ian

Aila was seen at 05.09 this morning, very briefly

• MaryGK said:
    youtu.be/.../quote]

Mary this is an absolutely wonderful video! I have added it to the top of the thread, so we can all reflect on it during the long winter months. I loved the music too - some of my favourites - 'This Feeling Inside' and Einaudi. And some very appropriate lyrics to accompany the antics!

Thank you very much

• Thanks very much Sandra and Korky for you kind words re the video, they are always appreciated, don't think I have been mentioned in a thread before Korky Ha Ha....  GrinningHeart eyes

• Aila looking very hollow chested
  • She needs to build herself up with migration looming, why isn't she doing more fishing, and keeping the fish for herself??