LOCH ARKAIG - AUGUST 2020 TO MARCH 2021. Highlights are Mary GK's and Geemeff's wonderful videos of the 2020 season

August is the month when we've seen the Loch Arkaig ospreys depart on their journey south. We've enjoyed watching them this year - the wonderful parenting skills of Aila and Louis, and the antics of their 3 chicks, Captain, Vera and Doddie. 

Mary GK did an absolutely wonderful video summarising the 2020 season. Thank you so much Mary! And here is Geemeff's great compilation, thank you!

2020 last dates:

Doddie JJ6 was last seen at the nest on Saturday 15th August 2020

Aila was last seen on Saturday 22nd August 2020

Captain JJ7 was last seen on Sunday 23rd August 2020

Vera JJ8 was last seen on Saturday 5 September.

An unidentified osprey was seen off camera on Sunday 6 September eating a fish. This could well have been Louis, having arrived and found no Vera around to feed.

Doddie JJ6 was videod and photographed fishing for over a fortnight at Avalon Marshes in Somerset 

Link to July 2020 thread

Link to Youtube channel

Link to Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig page/webcam feed

• Yes, JJ8 is on the nest just now, head down, while her 2 brothers yell for food
  • 10.44, JJ8 has been on the nest for a while and is standing much more uprightly (is that a word?) with her head high, rather than that drooped posture of the last couple of days. Maybe (hopefully) she is feeling a bit better or maybe she is more upright because it is not pouring with rain. Ian

EDIT - or maybe I am talking rubbish, she has adopted the drooped posture again.

• 14.36, JJ6 & JJ7 are on the nest as Louis delivers a fish. There is an almighty stramash (I'll use that word again for Geemeff's benefit, he/she can look it up Slight smile), it looks like JJ7 comes out on top. Ian

EDIT - 14.43, JJ8 comes to the nest, JJ7 makes her less than welcome by flapping at her.

Louis is in the middle of this somewhere.

JJ7 with the fish & JJ6 looking annoyed

(c) THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY

• JJ6 and JJ7 arrive on nest followed by Louis with a fish about 1435.
    You have to watch it happen, it's hilarious.
    i'm sure someone will be posting a video, or watch on playback.
    Sooooo funny a photo won't do it justice

Richard B

• Richard B "Sooooo funny a photo won't do it justice"

Agreed, but I had to try (see my post immediately above Richard's). Ian
  • 15.21, JJ6 (right) tries to take the fish from JJ7. JJ7 holds on to it. Ian

EDIT - JJ7 flies with the fish at 15.27. JJ6 did umpteen circuits of flying from "his" perch round the front of the nest and back to the perch before JJ7 left.

• JJ8 is looking a lot more alert and keeping her head up now.

However her crop is looking empty, time for some food

© The Woodland Trust

Richard B

• 16.13 (almost 16.14), JJ8 & JJ6 come to the nest as Aila brings in half a fish. I'm afraid JJ8 didn't stand a chance as JJ6 (nearest the camera) was straight onto the fish. Ian

EDIT - I'm not sure JJ8 even really tried to get the fish. 16.29, I said it was only a half fish, JJ6 swallows the tail.

• 16.58, JJ6 & JJ8 come back to the nest as a rather scrawny looking Louis delivers a flat fish. JJ8 initially gets the fish but JJ6 immediately takes it from her. I suspect JJ6 won't eat all of this fish so if JJ8 hangs around she might get some. Ian

JJ6 with the fish after taking it from JJ8.

• 17.38, JJ6 is still eating as JJ8 flies off. JJ6 is still eating at 17.42. See you tomorrow. Ian