LOCH ARKAIG - AUGUST 2020 TO MARCH 2021. Highlights are Mary GK's and Geemeff's wonderful videos of the 2020 season

August is the month when we've seen the Loch Arkaig ospreys depart on their journey south. We've enjoyed watching them this year - the wonderful parenting skills of Aila and Louis, and the antics of their 3 chicks, Captain, Vera and Doddie. 

Mary GK did an absolutely wonderful video summarising the 2020 season. Thank you so much Mary! And here is Geemeff's great compilation, thank you!

2020 last dates:

Doddie JJ6 was last seen at the nest on Saturday 15th August 2020

Aila was last seen on Saturday 22nd August 2020

Captain JJ7 was last seen on Sunday 23rd August 2020

Vera JJ8 was last seen on Saturday 5 September.

An unidentified osprey was seen off camera on Sunday 6 September eating a fish. This could well have been Louis, having arrived and found no Vera around to feed.

Doddie JJ6 was videod and photographed fishing for over a fortnight at Avalon Marshes in Somerset 

Link to July 2020 thread

Link to Youtube channel

Link to Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig page/webcam feed

• Geemeff said:
    The good, the bad and the OMG!

I've only just got around to making time for your video, GEEMEFF - what a tour de force, de skill and d'organisation Grin

And what a delight, thank you so very much Purple heart

• Oh what a fantastic reminder of a wonderful season for Louis and Aila. Thank you so much Geemeff, it was brilliant and definitely one to keep.
  • From George WT

George Anderson

I have just posted the following on the WT page:

SHUTDOWN OF LIVESTREAM AND COMMENTS
    This page does not so much migrate as hibernate!
    We are planning to switch off this comment stream some time on Friday this week. At the same time the livestream will be replaced on this page by a short season summary video.
    The livestream will continue to be viewable direct on Youtube until Monday, when it will be switched off for the winter.
    The livestream, and these comments will be switched back on in the second week of March in good time for the expected return of the ospreys.
    We are not planning to use the Commento system in 2021 but I don't know as yet what the replacement will be.
    As we have mentioned before, for those of you who wish to keep discussing ospreys over winter or find out about other wildlife cameras to watch, a couple of non-Woodland Trust sites have emerged - run by fans of this livestream.
    Walking With Daddy runs on the Disqus platform and provides a chat thread similar to here.
    Friends of Loch Arkaig Ospreys is a private group on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/829595230542720
    If there is any notable news of our ospreys over winter then it will likely be shared through our social media channels, not that we expect any such news.
    I cannot emphasise enough how lucky and rare the Doddie in Somerset situation has been.
    Best wishes, wherever you coorie doon for the winter!
  • 'Jenny' on the LA webcam page also reported the sighting of the pine marten, and Geemeff added a vid of the pine marten on the nest.-  

Geemeff commented

Great spot, Jenny!

https://youtu.be/qgk4rPFKrhc 

Pine Marten visits 03.36.02 - 03.36.10

The tree defences will be looked at when the camera is removed for its annual service. Until then, we might see more visits. Handsome creatures, aren't they. Looking for squirrels or other birds?

• Woodland Trust official season highlights 2020 published today:

• Many thanks Geemeff. That lovely, but... yours is magnificent!!
    A breezy day at LA and overcast. All very quiet too. The Bracken might be turning, the purple heather has bloomed and gone over. Time for the wood to relax and wind down, to rejuvenate next year.
  • SheilaFE said:
    Many thanks Geemeff. That lovely, but... yours is magnificent!!
    A breezy day at LA and overcast. All very quiet too. The Bracken might be turning, the purple heather has bloomed and gone over. Time for the wood to relax and wind down, to rejuvenate next year.

Thanks Sheila! I think bird-watchers might have a longer attention span so not mind the longer format, whereas the short format is perfect for a quick look. People's Postcode Lottery did the WT summary this year, I just might nick their clever opening of a map showing the location for my highlights next year!

• JJ6 is still at Shapwick - Tweet posted 3 hours ago.     He is obviously enjoying his stop over - he will move on when the time is right for him Smiley

https://twitter.com/AndrewKirby18/status/1306569158944059392

• Thanks, Mary, Lovely to see he is still thriving. I hope he picks a good time to travel on, avoids the Bay of Biscay and only goes as far as Spain or Portugal!
  • The webcam will be switched off today - so some last screen captures this morning.    It feels like saying cheerio to an old friend, after spending six months watching this nest avidly. Heart

Beautiful light that is forever changing. 

© THE WOODLAND TRUST, LOCH ARKAIG OSPREY PROJECT - POST CODE LOTTERY