Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a good and safe week. 

• DIBNLIB & LINDA – Here some cruise companies are offering 70% discounts for 2021. After the debacle with cruise ships generally, not many Aussies say they are planning to cruise. Most of our virus cases came from cruise ships. The Ruby Princess alone was responsible for over 650 cases and 21 deaths.

HEATHER – Good news & I hope your nephew continues to improve.

Latest local talk is that a “travel bubble” may open up between our state and those with low numbers in time for July school holidays. Thus SA, Canberra & Tasmania. I assume no quarantine would be required on return.

Earlier this year our news was overwhelmed with bushfire reports, then Covid reports for both here and across the world. Now, mayhem. A place that is so great, sure is, great no of virus deaths, great riots - pardon my cynicism. Some Aussie journalists were caught up in the walk to church clearance, the girl reporter said they were clubbed, tear gassed & hit with rubber bullets. Perhaps someone should open the bible and read JC’s words. Enuff from me.

After a day off yesterday, the Grand Design roof is progressing. This morning at least, sometimes they disappear at lunchtime.

• What was that marriage vow? We marry for better or worse, but not for lunch? [Friend to me when I was complaining about OH’s lunches]

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Marriage is about the most expensive way for the average man to get his laundry done. (Burt Reynolds (1936-2018))

Sign outside suburban house: “Divorce Yard Sale. Hurry before spouse comes home.”

• Evening all: A good day in the garden here..... Kept busy with lavender tidy up during the news....

Have a good Wednesday everyone.
  • Annette - I live about 3 miles north along the coast from Aldeburgh - and just south of Dunwich (the lost village) and Southwold.

Unfortunately this area has a very high percentage of 2nd home owners and this has caused some bad feeling among the locals as they did flock here when the lockdown was first announced but it seems to have calmed down a bit now.

I am very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country.

• Good Morning. It's raining, here!!! - lots of exclamation marks, as its the 1st we've had since the middle of April, when it rained for just one day. My OH says it began at 6.30 when he got up.

Only gentle rain, so it's not destroyed my delicate poppies, yet.
  • There is something very wrong with the site as I am sure that we have all realised. It would be good if we got some explanation but it isn't forthcoming. Maybe all the controllers (!) are working from home and not communicating with each other very effectively. My son has had terrible problems dealing with orders for his shop and delivery of stuff. He has been told that so many people are working from home etc etc....
  • Got through this morning to read, then after lunch not able to open this thread at all. Starting to fall asleep and suddenly noticed here I was!

LINDA – you hit the nail right on the head last evening – it was a medical appointment! Hadn’t had my monthly blood test since early March, so investigated using the new e-consult system on Monday, got a nurse on the phone that afternoon and an appt made for Tuesday. Special arrangements for getting in and being seen and hygiene etc but went well and I bled properly. Apparently result will this time go directly to Rheumatology. Had a run in with a nurse at the door. She appeared right next to us and said she would wait with us to be let in. I politely asked her to stand two metres away from me and she said she thought she was. I explained that different people have different ideas what is a metre – mine being twice as long as hers! OH was not allowed to push me in, so Ashley (phlebotomist) had to come out to push my chair and bring me out again and hand me back to him.

HEATHER – I hope you will get more good news of Nephew today – am I correct to think he has a Brother who could visit now he is on a ward but his Parents still cannot travel?

AQ – I wonder how Grand Design is working out the labour costs of that building, with all the coming and going. Had a laugh at the marriage thoughts – maybe not for the church magazine!

HARELADY – do the church bells still ring under the sea off Dunwich? I remember it had been historically a very important town until it started disappearing – I bought OH a book about it many years ago as he had grown up in East Anglia.

Rain here yesterday afternoon didn’t make much difference but overnight and at dawn today we seemed to have a lot more. Everything looks much fresher and OH has decided, with it being dry now but with gentle then heavier rain forecast later in the week, this afternoon is ideal for spreading lawn treatment for which we have been waiting through the dry weeks. I’m not doing much as I seem to have a “wobbly gut” – not serious, just unpleasant. J is now in contact with two Maths pupils helping them with online learning – they have put safeguards in place for the legitimate use of messaging.

Wrote this in Word at 3:00pm to copy, but won’t let me put it on the site so will save for later. Just noticed Heather has made it! Looks as if I can do it now too!
  • Yes OG, He has a brother who could visit, I will find out this evening. Unfortunately he has caused his siblings to run out of patience. All he wants is to go and live in France and be looked after by Mum and Dad. He is actually older than I thought, he is 44. I've had long chats with my sis in law. There is no way that they can afford to support him over there, he lives on UK benefits. In any case, his parents are now 70 and 71 and will not be around for ever. When he was at school he had great exam results and seemed to be set for a bright future. Everything went pear shaped when he was 17 or 18. If I was using my professional head, I would guess that he has a Dependent Personality Disorder. He won't engage with any available help because he says it doesn't work. What he means is that he wants everything to be fixed without him having to do any work. So very sad....
  • There is a thread with the catchy title 'First day of a new month tomorrow - will the forums be incredibly slow?' Makes interesting reading. I couldn't get on at all this morning, but it seems to be OK at the moment.
  • HEATHER - it is so sad to read about your Nephew; I suspect he has missed out on help much earlier in his life and it would be very difficult to change him now. And as the joke goes, "How many counsellors does it take to help someone to change? Only one but the person needs to want to change".

Hello, PAT. The forum is very frustrating today. I noticed the post you mention - will see whether I can get there now!