WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY MAY 17, 2020

Just getting us going.....

• Evening all:

Wendyb:  Oh my.  I can taste that cream tea!   I've been cutting my own fringe in between normal haircuts, but am just tying it back right now.  Good luck with the haircut.

AQ:  I checked those cream teas and other yummies at Wendyb's bakery online and they've just started mail order, but.......I think we'll still be out of luck.  I also love cereal for breakfast.  My favorite granola includes raisins, but I could probably choke down OG's cinnamon scones without too much trouble.

Rosy:  Spider plants are indestructible here too - and they multiply with no help at all.  Why doesn't this happen with the plants I really like?

California is gradually opening up, with various jurisdictions allowed to set their own pace as long as they stay within the State guidelines.  Locally, we're looking at low-risk in-store retail (you can even try on clothes, which will then be 'quarantined' before they go back on display) and restaurants, but there's debate about how they can meet costs with only s 25%  maximum occupancy allowed. And of course, masks, social distancing to be enforced.

Off to bed soon - thanks for all the news; take care everyone.

• Pelican in desert. See here.

Grand Design update. Workmen disappeared mid morn and have not returned. No wonder progress is slooooow.

• re: Cereal. I eat CoCo Wheats, a healthy hot cereal made of wheat farina and real cocoa, and enjoyed by rural/farm Midwesterners for generations. But, I'd love a cinnamon scone right now!

re: Breakfast. At some point in my adult life, I decided that if I'm having eggs, I want tomatoes and mushrooms with them. I also like baked beans on the plate. That's not how we prepared breakfast when I was growing up. I Googled after I read AQ's post, and I just now learned that those are components of a proper "English breakfast." Is that also traditional fare in Scotland? Was my Scottish DNA telling me how to eat eggs?

re: Haircuts. I've been cutting my own hair for years. My small-town stylist retired, and I can't afford to pay the high prices in the bigger town. Usually, the result looks pretty good, but...sometimes...not so much. Good job it grows out fast. LOL! The traditional rural folks believe that cutting hair should be timed to the appropriate two days of the month, as determined by the phase of the moon, so I always check the Almanac. I figure it can't hurt. I need all the help I can get. LOL! 

Speaking of moon phases. Today (Friday) is the new moon (the dark moon). The moon turns new at 6:38 p.m. in the U.K., 10:38 a.m. in California, and 12:38 p.m. in Iowa. Sorry, AQ, my brain's too tired to convert this to your time. LOL

Lindy: Rosie is utterly adorable! She does look very healthy. I'm glad.

AQ: That pelican in the desert is a glorious bird, but it surely looks out of place. LOL

• DIANE - these days, Full Scottish Breakfast (on holiday) is Sausages, Bacon, Haggis, Eggs, Tatty Scone, Tomato and Mushroom - possibly with optional Baked Beans.
    Full English would replace Tatty Scone by Hash Brown (which I think of as American, and years back would have been Fried Bread) and Haggis by Black Pudding!
  • Forecast says Showers and Wind today - had been rain in the night, but now sunny - but they were right about the wind!
  • DIANE - No worries. I trust there is a moon up there beyond the clouds leaking rain.

OG – Though we have finished tea, you are making me crave a Scottish breakfast. I love haggis. (Must be my 1/8 Scottish ancestry.)

I have not been to a hairdresser for years & years, except 10 years ago. I had 2 trials (first hairdresser didn’t have a clue what to do) and then the 2 big occasions for Daus’ weddings. I was not a happy bunny with hair pinned by metal spikes and immobile with hair spray. As soon as I returned home I dismantled the creation before bed. My hair is long, reaches shoulder blades (tied in a tail for photo outings). Recently I lopped 3-4 ins off and I am regretting it whenever there is a breeze. <sigh> it is very slow growing.

Bleah, it’s Friday night. Nothing to watch but the trillionth repeat of life at Heathrow and the umpteenth Escape to the Country.

• OG- what about the dreaded Lorne (in a slab) aka square sausage and the equally dreaded ( by me, anyway) fruit pudding which appears sometimes?!!!

• I quite like Lorne sausage, but haven't seen it in the shops for some years. Fruit pudding? Never come across that. Not sure I would like it. Haggis? Great! Black pudding? Yuk!!! Baked beans? If you must, but I would prefer not. And double hash browns with my poached egg, please. And absolutely no tinned tomatoes!!!! Real tomatoes, yes, please.
  • We agree with HEATHER re Lorne Sausage. I know people in Yorkshire who drive up here just to find square sausage.. I forgot about fruit pudding - never tried it and have to confess I don't know what it is - assume it's white pudding with currants in? PAT - definitely agree Breakfast Tomatoes should be fresh, not tinned - and preferably be very large (even to the point of sharing one) and well ripened.

Getting down to some serious work on the church magazine - is that really another month nearly gone by?
  • I like real tomatoes, too if it's on my plate with breakfast. Also another one here who will eat black pudding but not haggis! My father taught me to adore fried bread but I hardly ever have it. (My mobile made a Freudian slip there and wanted the great man on my plate instead of humble bread, fried! )

Sorry, read on here this morning but then rushed off as it's my day for going to get a weeks worth of grub. Then promptly forgot that I'd not posted. Has a long talk with a friend on the phone then went outside to rescue several items which had blown over in the garden.
    Must go do stuff now, back later.