DYFI DAILY OBS & CAPTURES - MAY 2020

The sadness of Monty's failure to return has been somewhat mitigated by Idris's almost seamless takeover as Telyn's partner.

They have 3 eggs:

Egg #1 ~ 17 April @ 05:58

Egg #2 ~ 20 April @ 01:40

Egg #3 ~ 22 April @ 22:56

Dyfi's usual ultra-wonderful coverage of the nest has been dimmed by (1) coronavirus restrictions and (2) laptop failure, a refurb has taken over.  We are grateful for what we are getting, in the circumstances.

LIMPY's coverage of the first 4 days of the month commenced HERE.

• Love Barn Owls, Limpy, so lucky to see one in your local area
  • Love your Cuckoo and Barn Owl, LIMPY Kissing heart

Our Barn Owls are creamy-coloured whereas the ones I follow in Southern California are darker and more spotty - both lovely, of course.

Around 19:00 Idris brought in an unfortunate live fish:

Telyn got this much:

Idris is spending the night on the nest perch again:

• Wonderful cuckoo pics Limpy ! And great barny owl pics too. Fortunate you and well done.

Very nicely done with the fish pics Scyla - so clear . Looks like Idris is naming his own perch .
  • Evidently Idris was incubating and they changed over just a few minutes ago Idris has brought a long, thin Y shaped stick and just plonked it down next to Telyn After a few seconds he flew off towards the larch perch but then around it and away to the left He has now brought a little short stick, fiddled with the Y stick and now flown to Monty's perch
  • Sunday 17 May... seeing as LIMPY decided to (almost) take the day off Stuck out tongue  (I hope you're OK, LImpy!)

Just couple of obs.  Times/durations very approx!

About an hour before daycam Telyn flew up to the high perch and Idris flew in from his sleeping station on the nest perch to incubate the eggs, where he stayed for about an hour before joining Telyn on the other end of the perch:

I think there was some argument about who was going to incubate and Telyn won, so Idris went and got a cat-o-2-tails to whip her with, and I don't think this will snap very well.

The "handle" end is on the right and it breaks into 2 very thin flexible whips:

Eventually Telyn got rid of the cat, but I didn't see it go right over the side because we were too zoomed in:

Lunchtime-ish there may have been an intrusion because both were off the nest on flyabouts.  This was Telyn returning, very empty-cropped, no fish yet that I've seen:

Camperson (Ems, of course) wanted us to see the seaweed:

15:30 At last!  And it's a decent portion, I'd say a headless fish:

Before 21:00 Idris had another fish up on the perch so Telyn had to chase of this pesterer:

Couldn't get a good view of Telyn's share of supper, it blurred badly when she flew:

Then I managed to over-delete my files and lost the changeover after Telyn had finished eating.  No Idris on the nest perch tonight - that's if it is Telyn on the eggs!

• Can just about see that Idris is on Monty's perch as there is asn blur over his upper half Telyn incubating  

• Morning. Maybe Idris on the nest and Telyn on the perch Patily. YT chat mentions swap over at 05.46. Hard to tell with the glour this morning!

EDIT   Swapped back 06.30

• Hi all thanks for you nice comments sorry was on a downer yesterday so Clare took me out to go looking for one of these.