Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 May 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, healthy week!

• Interesting, AQ - never thought about it, as we don't have such great distances to cover, here. We use the trains for much of the parcels services here.

Good news about your low infection figures. Apparently, we here, are living in one of the worst areas of the UK. But not to worry, as it includes two big cities,  Liverpool and Manchester, plus another huge town, Warrington. All of these have really bad figures especially in the deprived and densely populated areas.  Just shows how bad it is to overcrowd humanity and not to give them much help with their problems. We are "out in the country" and although there have been a handful of cases here, they are not too worrying. Some were in a care home (poor souls...)

• Quote from the letters page of a newspaper:

"If my wife and I have to self isolate, only one of us will come out alive. I don't know how she'll manage without me."
  • We are falling down the page so am bumping up!
    No news,from here except to say that is a beautiful day here and I've been digging up weeds which should never have got to the height they were.
    ANNETTE - after you posted about your Orange tree, I had a post from NZ, daughter's sis in law. They had gales which broke a large branch from their lime tree. Kilos of limes placed in a tub at their front door, for passers by to help themselves. There was mention of key lime pie and mojitos....
    I
  • AQ:  Flightradar24 also shows helicopters.  Sometimes I look at LA and see the LA County Sheriff up there, along with LA Police Department and similar.  Saw a medic flight from Flagstaff to Prescott the other night. I always wonder who's on board, what happened, etc.  In Arizona, the Navajo Nation, which is spread out over a very large area, is suffering badly with much higher cases/deaths per capita than other areas.  We too are seeing - as Lindybird mentioned - higher rates of illness and death among minorities. Meanwhile, you-know-who is disbanding the coronavirus Task Force  - except as of this morning he seems to be NOT disbanding the Task Force (but that could all change by lunch).  As they say:  Elect a clown, expect a circus.    Re mail, our Post Office and UPS often work together on long distance stuff so UPS will get something from A to B quickly and then hand it off to the local P.O. to deliver to C.   I always send packages to Arizona via UPS only because their local PO won't deliver packages inside the gate on a larger property unless you're there.  That's a relief about the low numbers; we had four new cases in our town yesterday after a week of nothing, which doesn't bode well

Lindybird:  Haha. I suspect we'd bring back Pony Express if we tried to use trains out here.  But maybe that's only true with cross-country mail; they may use trains back east   Don't know...

Heather:  Key Lime Pie is wonderful as long as it's tart and not too sweet.  I like a slice of lime in a Mexican beer (but rarely drink beer so...)

Had a bumpy night.  UK nephew's wife decided to send a text asking how we were doing - at 1 am our time.  I didn't answer it then  Tossed and turned until was awakened at 4 am by a barking dog that was apparently reacting to the person who routinely goes through the neighborhood on recycling days looking for cans or plastic bottles with a cash value, takes what he/she finds and then goes rattling off to the next house. That's a hard way to earn a few dollars, so you can't really get upset.

Two hot days ahead, then back to normal...

• I have been weeding as well. We have a lovely crop of wild garlic mustard in the garden. I asked Prof Google to ID it as the flowers are white. Apparently, the seeds cost £4.50 a packet. I could make a fortune!

I also planted some nasturtiums in what will be our new herb bed, when gardening is back to normal here. I thought they would add some interest in the meantime, and flowers are edible (or at least look good on a salad).

Thanks to all for interesting posts.
  • P.S. Did anyone see the video clip/report of the 5-year-old boy in Utah who was upset because his Mom wouldn't buy him a Lamborghini? When she went on an errand and left him at home with his older sister, he took the keys to her car, drove himself down the road and onto the Interstate headed to California to buy himself a Lamborghini - he had $3 in his pocket when the Highway Patrol pulled him over due to erratic driving! Amazing nobody was hurt/killed.
  • I saw it, ANNETTE - and the pics! Unbelievable.
  • I have the flightradar on my PC, ANNETTE, Also AIS shipping, the same, shows all ships on the high seas.
  • How adventurous you all are with your flight and shipping trackers - the only one I follow is Santa on Christmas Eve!

We were busy indoors again - not sure why - but J did paint another panel of the fence - in the inside as the outside on that part is next to the pavement of the road. He seems to be doing one every Wednesday - his day off. I went outside while OH watered veg etc this evening. Had a series of online orders (not food) delivered today - one was complete, one delivered parcel 2/2 but we await parcel 1, and another delivered the one estimated for tomorrow and we await the one estimated for today! I am confused trying to keep track of what we have coming!

Another lovely day, but I just looked for the moon, having had a wonderful view last evening, and I can't see it - must be hazy up there - there is a lot of pink reflection from the setting sun opposite.
  • I have the same problem with parcels, OG: some things arrive on time, others before their estimated date. Some not at all! I really must get around to writing to our Council about our road signage, as now and then things just go missing - I'm sure that sometimes its because our road sign for here is actually sited on the corner with the next main road through, and strangers delivering think they are on the road but they are not! If you can follow that description... After the earlier discussion on different delivery services, I think the fact that this sign is wrong was not a problem as years ago all the post, parcels and etc were delivered by the Royal Mail and they knew about it - plus of course the postman would be local, so knew which road was which! Now its all white vans with satnavs.