Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

• Many thanks, everyone, for pics and posts. I wonder if CJ7 chased away juvenile Ospreys for a bit last year (as reported by Alison) because she was claiming her territory.

• Shocking weather 22:30 last night, great variety within a very few minutes:

Our faithful Nightjar turned up a little while before day cam again - no vocals:

No-one seen since then up to 10:30.

• The nest has been buffeted all day long and tonight there was a 5-minute squall @ 23:00, no visitors to report up to 00:20.

• A dry night thereafter, until our Nightjar turned up - it was almost daycam, and after this flicker into daycam it went back to straight nightcam for a little while.

Nothing more up to 14:00 but it's been too breezy for cambump analysis ;) and there have been several internet outages on all cams.

• No-one seen all the breezy day nor all the fairly still, dry night up to 02:00.
  • There was a brief flypast by an osprey (probably CJ7) at about 14.37 yesterday - blink and you miss it! Spotted by one of the live chatters.

© Poole Harbour Osprey Project

• Unknown said:
    There was a brief flypast by an osprey

I won't beat myself up over that one, ALISON! Smile

Nightjar behaved differently this morning - well I don't know whether each visit was the same bird or not.

It didn't rain overnight but it's raining this morning.  No birds seen since daycam up to 09:55.

• A rainy day.

(These have alternated between crows and ravens over and over again.  I've plonked for crows rather than chicken out to "corvids".)

This morning a crow visited twice, the second time spending ages preening and ending up on the campost, I didn't see or feel it leave:

Late afternoon FOUR of them turned up and made merry in the wind - after this, one was still outside the left edge with its tail only showing, I omitted that because it involved either a lot of waiting or some editing.

Well I'm blow'd, look what appeared at nightcam Open mouth

Identical to the one that was blown off by the wind, let's hope it works again this time, or our Nightjar won't be pleased to be defaced :o

That's up to 23:40.

• Tragedy!  I didn't realise that the big freeze-up on my laptop after midnight had paused some of my downloads and this was one - so I've had to find the Nightjar on YT rollback, then made a bad decision to record it cropped = even fuzzier than usual, then forgot about my faulty fan being recorded as well - so have had to take the sound off - not that there was much vocal apart from an introductory chirp, I think - and what about the double-fly-in?  A glitch.

I've made this unlisted so's not to inflict it on anyone else but us.

• Scylla.
    0622 this morning, Coal Tit followed by selection of Stonechats.