Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

• Brilliant video by Brittany Maxted about CJ7.

• As osprey activity in the harbour is increasing, Birds of Poole Harbour are doing weekend osprey watches from a viewpoint at Ham Common. Here we are looking roughly southwest towards the Wareham Channel, where the birds love to fish, with the Arne peninsula over the water on the left. (Yes, that's me in the red!) We saw at least two ospreys this morning, and one caught a fish and flew off with it (too distant for my camera, unfortunately).

© Birds of Poole Harbour

• Brittany is a wonderful presenter but I haven't got 15 minutes to spare yet, am inundated with duties (self-inflicted, admittedly ;) ).  Thank you for posting, ALISON! Slight smile

Last evening the spider put in a daycam appearance:

Nightcam web - come onnnn, Nightjar!

And would you belieeeeeve it?!  The Nightjar came !!!  But it was a very uneventful visit, except for a feather-fluff casting off some debris:

Clutching at straws, this is the only activity up to about 06:30:

• Just had some activity, scylla!

© Poole Harbour Osprey Project

• Thank you Alison, I have just watched the BoPH video about CJ7. It is very good, and sounds very positive for the future.
  • Unknown said:
    Just had some activity, scylla!

I'm repeating it because I've caught up from 06:30 and find that she had a good session on the campost and the perch earlier in the morning, and I've tagged the fish visit on because some YouTubers like to keep up with her and don't come here Blush 

So LG Forummers can dispense with the ending, if they decide to watch at all:

I've done the colour of that frame umpteen times and it won't come out right, so say nothing Expressionless

It's only to let people see she went on the perch if they can't be bothered to watch my video Grin

• Nightcam and no web!

I checked for sounds up to about 22:00, no birds heard.

• Well, even spidies fly south for the winter it seems! Great to see CJ7 with fish on the nest. Yep, she has definitely made this nest her own . And next year , i predict (gulp) a mate to go with it. Thanks Scylla
  • Nothing to report up to 10:20 this morning.
  • No sightings, but Osprey-type cambumps:

11:32 land with feakings, by the sound of it, on 'n off for a couple of minutes.

14:51 take-off.

15:32 landing with a few foot-scrapes.

17:10 strange one, heard some light foot-scrapes, pause, then what sounded like a 2-footed landing but must have been a take-off cos someone was definitely already there!

No web again tonight - we'll have to wait for a new tenant - some pretty flyers tho: