Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

• It's taken all this time Open mouth  ... due to a combo of incompetence and working on the sound - there were unheard voices until I upped the volume, but then had so much background noise and the two adjustments tend to cancel each other out and distort Confused

"Two (at least?) but not at the same time":

The new web @ 6x speed:

The day dawned mistily:

I'm not going to track back, but the first time I noticed the white deer it was leaving the "browsing area" followed by 2 little not-white ones, one of which you can't see - you may not be able to see eitherGrin or the white deer, for that matter Grin Grin

• Unringed female (probably) landed on the nest with a fish at about 11.44am, closely followed by CJ7. Camera is annoyingly stop-start at the moment, so here are two stills.

© Poole Harbour Osprey Project

• Thanks, Alison. Shame the second bird seems to be a female. Read about it on the Dyfi chat and was hoping it was a male. Oh well, possibly a candidate for another nest if we are lucky enough to see both CJ7 and this unringed bird next year!
  • As ALISON reported, the cam was "annoyingly stop-start" - it was fine until the unringed female landed, I wonder if the management could be told that it may be "significant movement on the nest" that causes the fault?  Or not Grin

In the early part of the afternoon there were definite cambumps that "looked like" osprey landings that I don't have time to narrow down to listen to, but later CJ7 (I bet) landed and stayed until she was driven off by a helicopter!

Nightcamb scene:

At midnight the spider broke the web and gradually rebuilt it by daycam:

No-one seen yet this morning.

• Someone just landed on campost. I've got the live stream open, which I should not have, for the sake of my internet!
  • CJ7 was on the nest this morning, but I can't do any more tonight so here's a snap:

G'night and hope to fill in all the gaps later.

• scylla said:
    CJ7 was on the nest this morning,

Three times during the day - and only the first was glitchy :)   That one, I've cut very roughly.

Oh how I wish we could read Len's mind:

That's up to about 05:30.

• Just for the record ;)  CJ7 was here this morning, she brought in thin sticks and pottered a very little, then up to the campost - I didn't detect her departure.

Empty crop, I expect she went fishing.

This afternoon there was a big glitch, during which some sticks moved.  Someone must have been there but I've checked YT rollback and the same thing happened there.

• I think that CJ7 was on the campost at tea-time and am sure she was there, scrabbling in the inimitable way of ospreys ;) @ 21:36, taking off @ 21:37.  If only she'd fly in the right direction...

There was a flyby but too small and flapping too fast for an osprey.

LenSpider continues his activities, which I do hope are not making me miss precious Nightjar.

Apparently, some spiders eat their webs "daily" and make a new one, this must be one of those:

I think that's up to 04:00.

• My very own sighting this morning at RSPB Lytchett Fields, Poole Harbour. Looks to be an unringed female, so not CJ7. Could be the one that visited the nest with a fish the other day. Click on the photos for better quality.

© Alison Copland