OSPREY CHAT THREAD APRIL 2020 TO END OF FEB 2021

• In reply to SheilaFE:

SheilaFE said:

For the first time in Australia, two chicks at Port Lincoln and Thistle Island have been fitted with solar tags.. Rather alarmingly, the article states that "We've seen roughly a 26 per cent decline in the last five years on the osprey population in South Australia".  I hope their project finds out what the problem(s) is/are.

Thanks for pointing out that the link failed to work, Scylla.  This is the article (whew, I managed to find it again, LOL).

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018

• In reply to SheilaFE:

SheilaFE said:
    hope their project finds out what the problem(s) is/are.

worrying decline indeed Sheila. Let's hope they find out the reasons why.

• Lovely write up on the news of Blue 195 (2019) seen in Senegal , so exciting to see a juvenile from Abernethy :)  hope he returns next year - there is a vacant nest ready and waiting :) www.facebook.com/.../3900482476638388 and link to the newspaper article www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/.../

Valerie

• Thank you VALERIE Whar lovely news Wouldn;t it be wonderful if LG had a breeding pair again?
  • In reply to patily:

We have to have every faith that it WILL happen , seeing Blue 195 was just so exciting , Jean-marie is heading out again very soon to the same area and will hopefully see him again

Valerie

• In reply to Valerie:

Yes indeed Valarie, we must have faith that this will happen, it is so long overdue. With the loss of our beloved birds, Covid and all the problems in that the centre could not open, but will hopefully next year, we will have a newly refurbished centre to visit [for those that are lucky enough to be able to] and the icing on the cake would be for a new pair of birds picking the LG nest as their new home, that will give us all something to watch for sure!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Let us all hope that the LG people will be able to clear and tidy the nest before the Ospreys arrive, and perhaps trim some of the nearby trees, too, knowing that Ospreys like to have a good view in every direction from their nest--just remembering Roy Dennis's observations about the LG nest site when they consulted with him at the site awhile back.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Apologies if already been posted.but SIL sent me link today.  Wonderful always amazing to see them Fish

www.facebook.com/.../

• Someone sent me the same via a twitter account - it's absolutely splendid, isn't it :) Thanks SunnyKate2
  • That is a great video, no matter how many times you see it--lol! Thanks, Kate, and no apology needed!  I never tire of watching a diving Osprey.

Kind regards, 

Ann