Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week! 

I have a small natural sack hanging from a branch next to my front door. It feels like papery leather, and there's clearly something inside it, because it moves on its own! It's oddly heavy! I've been concerned that it may have been made by a swarm of wasps or a large bat. 

I think I've finally figured out what built it and is living in it. I believe it's a Cecropia moth, a giant silk moth. These are the largest moths in North America, and they can be more than 7 inches wide or 18 centimeters. They appear as big as a human hand. I hope I'm outdoors when the cocoon opens. 

Here's a photo showing what the cocoon looks like (mine is wider than this one): 

Cecropia Moth Cocoon
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

Here's a photo showing what the moth will look like, if that's what comes out:

Cecropia Moth, giant silk moth
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• As I was sitting beside the lake soaking up the sunshine this afternoon, it suddenly came to me …

hoon = hoo(liga)n

Makes perfect sense now! And yes, all the other names are equally appropriate.
  • I saw that kangaroo video, too..... funny!!

Didn't feel great this morning, so ate very little today. Sat in the garden again this afternoon, it wasn't exactly hot, but it was warm with little wind. We decided to change our duvets to the summer weight ones, then were astounded to find that we already had them on the beds!!! Not been cold at night except for a couple of nights in January, when I threw a blanket on top.

Lots of people out clapping tonight, more than last week.
  • Annette - saw Mantels new book in a shop window yesterday, but although they had a pile of copies, the shop is shut, of course!
  • Hello everyone,
    Sorry you are not feeling great, Lindy. I hope tomorrow is better.
    Thanks to AQ, Annette, and others for news.

I had an unfortunate incident last night. Me versus the toaster (now ex).
    Oh was not feeling well yesterday, and fancied some toast in the evening. I was clearing up afterwards, and had something in one hand, so picked up the toaster by the top. There was a flash, and a shock up my arm and all the lights went out!
    We eat toast every morning, so a great loss. Why did it have to happen now when I cannot replace it in a hurry?
    I found some reduced fat croissants during my golden oldie shopping spree this morning which OH likes. I am not so keen. I like the German bread which comes in packets, but he does not.
  • Rosy:  Well, certainly glad you lived to tell the tale.  Hope you get a  replacement soon.  I had a similar experience with a light in the exhaust hood over our cook top  I went to take it out but part of it broke off and remained in the outlet. The appliance was turned off but when I put my hand on the socket I got a shock up my arm - very unsettling. We then turned the power off for that whole part of the kitchen, but still couldn't get the broken part out so now it will just have to wait; fortunately there are three other lights in the hood.  

• Just catching up on all the news.
    AQ - that was lovely of Dau2, nice your OH got his birthday chocs. Rosellas lovely and colourful and the blossom too.

Lindybird - that seems like a good idea, at least its keeping contact with one another safely.
  • Out clapping with the neighbours this eveing.
    Watched the Big Night In but not very impressed, however have donated to the cause.
    Another glorious day, washing outside. Always nice and fresh smelling afterwards.
    Managed to get some shopping slots for the next 3 weeks so saves going out to the supermarket, although
    dau would have done it for us if needed.

Annette - Reading posts earlier I understand its a milestone Anniversary - CONGRATULATIONS.
  • Last teatime we had eaten Dau#2’s pasties followed by her cake for dessert. A knock at the door. Lady with a pizza-sized box. She said it’s not a pizza and mentioned a brand name. I said we had not ordered anything and she returned to her car (or whatever - it was dark). Few minutes later, a knock on the door. This time she named OH, a delivery for him from Dau#1. Apologies from me. After wiping box with disinfectant, OH opened to find 6 little bottles of wine. An enterprising local winery is selling these sampler packs. OH promptly texted Dau. Such excitement, 2 visitors in 2 months.
  • An amazing 2 letter English word.

A reminder that one word in the English language that can be a noun, verb, adjective, adverb and preposition.
    UP
    This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is 'UP.' It is listed in the dictionary as an [adv.], [prep.], [adj.], [n] or [v].
    It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?
    At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends, brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and fix UP the old car.
    At other times, this little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.
    To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.
    And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.
    We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!
    To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look UP the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.
    If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.
    When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out, we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, the earth soaks it UP. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP. One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now . . . my time is UP!
    Don't screw UP. Send this on to everyone you look UP in your address book . . . or not . . . it's UP to you.
    Now I'll shut UP!

• AQ:   Heehee.  'Up" post right UP my street.  :-)  And how lovely - wine in a look-alike pizza box. A turn UP for the books!

Lynette:  Not a milestone, so not a milestone that we both missed it.  :-)  

Hope OG is okay.  And where is Forestboar!!