Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 April 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week! 

I have a small natural sack hanging from a branch next to my front door. It feels like papery leather, and there's clearly something inside it, because it moves on its own! It's oddly heavy! I've been concerned that it may have been made by a swarm of wasps or a large bat. 

I think I've finally figured out what built it and is living in it. I believe it's a Cecropia moth, a giant silk moth. These are the largest moths in North America, and they can be more than 7 inches wide or 18 centimeters. They appear as big as a human hand. I hope I'm outdoors when the cocoon opens. 

Here's a photo showing what the cocoon looks like (mine is wider than this one): 

Cecropia Moth Cocoon
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

Here's a photo showing what the moth will look like, if that's what comes out:

Cecropia Moth, giant silk moth
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

1. I waffled on about the blitz spirit when all this started but have now realised how important human contact is. Not having any at all is depressing and demoralizing and I feel ashamed that I used to feel 'tied' at times by my involvement with my late neighbour. I now know how much my daily visits meant to her!
  • OG – That 2 + 2 weeks quarantine is in addition to whatever lockdown the Aussies were enduring (2 or 3 weeks) in India or Peru or wherever they had been stranded. Our govt has been working hard to organise flights & gather permits for people to travel to airports in countries where we normally do not have connecting flights. We do seem to be having success – low numbers of new cases – there is talk of easing restrictions on elective surgery & IVF. OH is impatient for his restaurants to reopen.

• OG - I know about the complicated Law of Trespass here of course but wouldn't you think that folk would have the common courtesy not to trample through a field with growing things? Where my brother lives the French farmers' fields go right up to the roads/pathways, no hedges etc - loads of lovely sweetcorn growing, for example and you could just reach out and cut it if you were so minded. People don't, though.

• HARELADY I have a friend who lives on her own, although she does have friends and family to visit. She was a doctor but retired 15 months ago. She told me that although she is happy with her own company she is finding things very strange at the moment. I think there is a big difference between choosing to be on your own and being told this is what you have to do!
  • Harelady - I am so impressed by the number of churches producing online services. My church does a 'sort of' service - better not elaborate here! - but I prefer to go elsewhere. I think I have rather over-dosed this morning! First the Radio 4 service, then a meditation led by a friend of mine. Then I 'visited' another church down on the south coast where another friend was preaching. So it's been a super-Sunday - and not even lunch time yet! I then went out for a walk in the sunshine - it's really quite warm today after the cold wind of the last few days.

I'm also used to living alone, but the lockdown is beginning to get to me. I find myself turning far too much to the computer for amusement or time-filling. Some of it is sensible - but an awful lot of it isn't! Playing games, doing jigsaws, face to face with friends, preparing next week's news sheet … but not doing my eyes any good!

I do miss casual meeting with friends and neighbours, and I'm even beginning to miss church meetings!
  • I can only comment that I feel strange, too -- and I'm not even on my own! I am usually someone who is quite happy in her own company, when it arises, but its certainly odd to have to think about it, every time you contemplate going further than your own front gate!

Its upsetting not to see family, and to know that this could continue for us Oldies for quite a long time to come. I tend to just take each day at a time, and try to vary my activities. The internet is certainly a boon, and we also seem to be watching a lot of TV! (But rationing ourselves on the number of times we watch The News as it's too repetitive, and too much gloom & doom!) Another thing I have to keep pulling myself up on is future planning- I realise now that I usually spend a lot of time focusing on What is To Come. I must try to do more enjoyment of the Here & Now.
  • "When we think of the elderly - and then realise We Are the elderly …"
  • I have been typing up the few handwritten bits I have been sent for the "virtual Magazine". Being written in their own recognisable style, I feel I am spending time with these folks - I hope they felt the same when they sent their thoughts to be shared.
  • HI to all on this thread ,hope you are all well and stay safe

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Hey, Limpy!! - (waves madly)

We all seem to be OK up to now, how are you, Clare and Helen?