LLYN BRENIG, LLYN CLYWEDOG WELSH OSPREY PROJECTS CAPTURES & UPDATES APRIL 2020 TO END FEB 2021

Please use this thread for any Screen Captures and Updates on these Welsh Osprey Projects. 

LLYN BRENIG

FEMALE - BLUE 24(10) - HATCHED RUTLAND WATER, ENGLAND

MALE - BLUE HR7(14) - HATCHED LAKE OF MENTEITH, SCOTLAND

LINK TO BRENIG OSPREY PROJECT FACEBOOK PAGE

LLYN CLYWEDOG 

FEMALE - DELYTH - UNRINGED (DID NOT RETURN)

FEMALE - 5F (SEREN)

MALE - DYLAN - UNRINGED 

------------------------------------------

1st Egg Laid - 19.04.20 @ 17.59 - Hatched 26.05.20 @ 10.25 hrs

2nd Egg Laid - 22.04.20 @ 12.03 - Hatched 28.05.20 @ 0600 hrs

3rd Egg Laid - 25.04.20 @ 08.50 - Hatched 30.05.20 @ before 0700 hrs

ALL 3 CHICKS WERE RINGED ON 4TH JULY - ALL BELIEVED TO BE MALE - RING NUMBERS 550, 551 AND 552

WHEN POSTING SCREEN CAPTURES FROM THE CLYWEDOG NEST CAN YOU PLEASE ADD THE FOLLOWING COPYRIGHT LOGO

© NWR - LLYN CLYWEDOG OSPREYS

• I’m so relieved that KC5 has been seen.
  • At Clwyedog, Dylan has delivered a fish to 550 and 552 on the nest this morning. It is beginning to look like 5F Seren and 551 might have left on migration; neither have been seen for a couple of days.

The Clwyedog nest has been joyful this season, laying aside the sad fact that Delyth did not return. 5F's first successful breeding season in front of a live stream which worked pretty well most of the period has been great. She has been a fabulous mother and sibling rivalry has been minimised by the speed at which she can feed chicks. Dylan has proved again to be a good provider, although some thanks are I think due to Clwyedog fisheries for stocking the lake with trout. The intrusion onto the nest of KS8 (a Clywedog 2018 juvenile) was the well deserved icing on John Williams' cake.

• Agree completely, AG. Very sad that Delyth did not return, but as with the nest at Dyfi, a wonderful replacement Osprey has stepped into the gap and did a very fine job this year. It is great that 5F finally has had her chance and the appearance of the first known returnee from the Clywedog nest was extra lovely for John and everyone.

Kind regards, Ann

• My report of 5F Seren's departure was premature; while she has not been on the nest since last weekend John Williams photographed her today at the shore of the lake. 551 does seem to have gone; Dylan has supplied a fish for 550/552.

On Llyn Brenig the North Wales Police Rural Crime team are actively gathering evidence, which the local osp enthusiasts are keen to help with. There is a Freedom of Information request made to and acknowledged by Natural Resources Wales as to what permits (if any) were issued for the filming in relation to a schedule 1 species. Watch this space.
  • Good to hear on all points AG, thank you
  • Thank you for your up dates AG. It's much appreciated and a worrying situation, importantly now and also the future of the nest.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Sheila/Cathy You're very welcome. As well as trying to secure the future of the Brenig nest, this issue will hopefully lay down another marker about disturbance of schedule 1 nest sites. The investigating officer in the rural crime unit emailed me at 11.30 last night - they are taking it seriously.
  • Thank you AG Thank goodness events have not been glossed over
  • AG I am delighted to hear they are taking it seriously, particularly when Tim Mackrill, who has been mentored by Roy Dennis since he volunteered at Rutland, the first translocation programme for ospreys, is involved. The whole thing has been a disaster. Please continue to keep us updated.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Many thanks, AG, for keeping us informed. Fingers crossed that they reach the right conclusions about this and that it gets wide coverage across the whole UK.

Kind regards, Ann