Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 February 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. I also hope everyone stays safe from the big UK storm.

• OG - I don't know when your original appt for Rheumatology was, but always good to get a cancellation if it speeds things up.

OH had an appt at a local hospital this morning for a procedure. I won't bore you with the details, but this was the third abortive visit. There were various reasons why the procedure could not be carried out, but it means yet another appt (or rather two, as the first one is another assessment). Not really complaining as the docs are trying to do the right thing, but as we were told THIS MAY TAKE SOME TIME, we called into our friendly travel agent on the way home, and booked a week in Malta, for two weeks time. We have never been there, but friends have, and it not too far to travel.
    Lindy, do I remember you going there a while ago?

Heather, I did not know that Dupuytrens was Viking disease. Sorry that you have inherited it. Difficult surgery to have, and not always hugely successful if I remember rightly.
  • Lynette:  Nice to see you.  Do hope BiL gets sorted and you can all breathe a sigh of relief.  Also best wishes for daughter in her long-term goal.  Good for her!

Rosy:  Zooming off to Malta?  That'll show the docs!

Am getting lots of small to-do things done and gearing up for some large things (new floor/carpet, paint, etc. etc.)  Where is Lindybird's husband!

Have a good Thursday all.

• Good Morning. Had to give up yesterday as just couldn't post, and now forgotten what I'd written.

Lynette - A big worry about your b.I.law, hope he gets the best of care.

Rosy - Yes, we went there a few years ago. The weather there is very pleasant, and the atmosphere relaxed. Everyone speaks English and things are pretty much geared up for tourists, so I expect you will enjoy your break: sounds as if you'll need one! Don't know where you're staying but there is a good & frequent bus service - we took ourselves to Valletta for a day out which was a highlight, there is so much to see there.
  • Rosy - I spent a day in Malta last year, on my way home. I was in Valletta, and there is so much to see - I only scratched the surface. I will be going back soon, and want to spend ten to fourteen days 'doing' it properly, including some of the islands. The bus service is excellent and will take you anywhere you want to go. One piece of advice - take comfortable walking shoes! It's very hilly, with mainly cobbled streets, and lots of steps. I felt fitter after one day, but it can be tough on the knees. I was there in May and it was very hot, so I imagine March will be more comfortable. Look forward to hearing about it when you get back. Enjoy!
  • Morning all: Quiet on here today. Don't know anything about Malta, but used to be very familiar with Maltesers.
  • I've been out on a shopping expedition. Its little Rosie's baptism on Sunday and I wanted to get her a small piece of jewellery in John Lewis, managed to find a pretty bracelet which the girl kindly wrapped up with a pretty bow for me. Now I'm home I can't examine my purchase! Never mind. I also came home with a small heavy sauce pan - not a saucepan, a Sauce Pan!! I've been using an old heavy bottomed pan which was my mother's, for all of my married life. The handle has finally given out.

Then braved M&S which was heaving -- there were some promotions on and even the car park was full. I got one of their specials for Valentines Day tomorrow- we will eat in instead of going out to a restaurant for an inflated price meal .

• Hi! What a morning that was! Okay when we got up, just a bit of sleety drizzle, then turned to snow, but it didn’t manage to settle on the wet ground. Was back to light sleet when we set off to Dumfries but went through some real snow on the highest part of the journey – not nice with lots of lorries from the ferries. On time for appt – new consultant who seemed very up to date in his thinking – will try to reduce medication to improve my immune system – thinks physio will be the most helpful path to follow. Fields and hills were still white, but plenty of sunshine when we came home, via a sandwich for early lunch at one of the garden centres. Didn’t buy a plant, just some birthday cards. We really need a plant for the lounge, but don’t know what – any suggestions? Requirements – something architectural, no flowers, okay in partial shade and not clashing with duck-egg blue.

LYNETTE – sorry about your BiL’s sudden serious illness. I hope he will continue to improve now he is in the City Hospital. Wishing your Daughter well for the Maths exam – good for her! trying to improve her qualifications.

ROSY – hadn’t actually got a scheduled appt for Rheumatology, which was due in December. Still awaiting Orthopaedics and Oncology (but did have a letter to say the mammogram was clear again). Sorry about the delays to your OH’s procedure – but enjoy the holiday! I hope your stay will not be too much limited by his condition – I think you have said in the past that he has some trouble with his heart.

ANNETTE – sounds as if you have re-motivated yourself to tackle some major jobs! LOL about the Maltesers!

Apparently, we are expecting more flooding at the weekend due to the tide, more rain and snow melt coming down from the hills – the River Annan was just inside it’s banks when we went over the bridge today. Stay safe from storm Dennis, everyone!
  • Sounds as though Dennis is definitely going to be a menace!
  • A busy day for you, then, OG. And what weather!! We had lots of rain and I didn't know what to wear this morning, but although cosy when I set off, my winter coat made me too hot in the shops! Hope your docs idea of less meds will help. You seem to be always having a balancing act.

To answer your question, I would try something which is not actually alive, as I've found that in awkward corners it's easier to have the excellent artificial plants made these days. I'd recommend the "Bloom" company, whose creations are very believable and well made, if a little more expensive than the real thing!
  • Everyone: I hope Dennis is kind to all of you today! Stay safe.