Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 January 2020

Happy New Week and Happy Full Moon! 

The Full Wolf Moon occurs on 10 January (Friday). 

Be sure to check back to last week's thread where Lindy posted some adorable grandchildren pics!!!

Everyone have a wonderful week!

• Annette, are you going to continue with the whale watching if it sounds as if it's going to be just as well organised? Thanks for adding Dibnlibs good wishes, although I noticed her post earlier.

All the Best to you, too, Dibnlib :-)

Sad pictures coming out of Australia, of the devastation of the wildlife, and of the people who have become refugees in their own country.
  • Lindybird: Last week when Rosy and I were on plumber watch I was remembering my mother's superstitious saying that bad news comes in threes and I was wondering who else was going to develop a leak! Glad son's water leak is fixed, but don't like the sound of the gas leak at all. Yes, will continue with whale count although I expect it may be bumpy for the first year; then when things settle, will be able to see whether it's still as much fun as when Mike was leading it. On the other hand, just being out on the Point will be good. The volunteers are so experienced I'm thinking we'll be telling the supervisor what to do. :-)

Was out in garden and things keep on growing here! Just whacked off a bunch of long branches on the Lavender Starflower... First buds are on the pin cushion plants and salvia has lots of green leaves...
  • Annette: My mother also used to say things come in threes. Quite often it turns out to be true.

Lindy: Glad the water leak is fixed, but gas leaks are worrying. Hope that soon gets sorted. This is the time of year for leaks. Our plumber said he got called out on Christmas day. Some serious leaks will not wait. Obviously too big for a vase! I am glad I was not paying for that one!

Thank you for the New year wishes Dibnlib. Best wishes to you.

OH and I took our granddaughter to the station to return her to her mother this morning. I will miss her, but will be glad to get the brains back to some resemblance of normal. She needs very little sleep and bombards me with technology (amongst other things)
  • Hi all.
    Thanks Diane for starting us off again.

AQ - glad there has been a bit of rain, do hope you get more soon to dampen those fires. Hear about it every night on the news. Quite a loss of wildlife as well as people loosing their homes.

Dau wasn't too well this morning so we gave church a miss. She managed to go out this afternoon - tickets already paid for - to see Cats with my D-in-L. Said it was quite enjoyable.
    Not a lot on this week although I do have my Womens' meeting, first of the New Year..

Annette - whale counting sounds a pleasurable passtime, hope you keep it up and yes, maybe you might have to tell the supervisor how to do it!!!

Rosie - how nice to have your grand-daughter visit, but I expect always nice to be able to hand them back so to speak.
  • Just had to sign in again!

Annette & others - don't worry, it's not a gas leak - it's British Gas who were called, because it's a central heating water pipe which is leaking. British Gas supply the boiler and maintain the system.
  • Lynette, did your daughter see the film or the stage show version of Cats?

I've not met anyone yet who hated the film, in spite of the critics and the press being so horrible about it. I'm up in arms about it, now!!
  • Rosy: How old is your chatty granddaughter?
  • ꭓmas decs came down yesterday. Some bells & baubles too large for new tree and Dau accepted them, others were binned, now they all fit in one box. No way new tree can be compressed into original box, so I found a large black garbag to store in garage. Oh dear, it looks like a body bag, albeit a small one. I must be reading too many whodunits.

ANNETTE – “Your” firies arrived this morn to join those here since December. More expected Wednesday. They will be involved with logistics & planning. Kangaroo Valley is in NSW, not to be confused with SA’s Kangaroo Island. I wonder if there will be conflict with your whale watching this year. In my experience, volunteers & paid workers do not mix very well. I’m not sure exactly why – perhaps volunteers niggling that “they are getting paid” and perhaps a lack of respect for volunteers by those who have “trained for years”.

Thank you to ALL who have expressed concerns. Our house should be safe; it is in western suburbs, about 1 km from beach. The rain that fell here and is falling in eastern states is nowhere enough to dampen fires. Someone said it would need 200 mm. Hah, they’ll get 20 mm if they are lucky.

Half koala population on KI believed lost. Those on island are the only Aussie koalas that are chlamydia-free. KI is also home to endangered glossy black cockatoos.

Last evening at sunset our sky looked peculiar. Looking to west from our backyard. I guess the smoke layer was trapped, leaving clear air beneath.

• AQ: I've seen skies like that. :-( Glad you're safe.
  • What a sky, AQ. As I write, they're showing the koala rescue operation on Kangaroo Island. Poor little things - I read yesterday that the mammals such as they would suffer the most as they're so slow moving.

Good Morning. My OH has just announced "No more cake" as he lay awake for part of the night after eating a huge slice of my mince pie mid evening yesterday. I did warn him that we shouldn't eat rich food late evening as we can't digest things like we used to.

Off to sluice myself down and do battle with the remaining decorations - we left the tree till last, and it's been so pretty I'm sad to take it down now - my OH is going to chop it up and recycle it.