Gironde
Thursday, January 2nd, 2020
1 Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
Detail : 1x immature (stationary
Landes
1 Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
Comment :
posé au sol au fond de la réserve; se toilette
  • Hi Sharon, you can upload your photograph for identification. I am not sure how this is done but hopefully another poster will let you know. I would be very surprised if it was an osprey in the UK in January, at this time of the year they should be enjoying the weather somewhere in Africa before arriving back here in the Spring. Ian
  • Hi Ian, that was my thought too and I'd stopped thinking about it too much but it's really bugging me now. Being a farmer I'm an avid bird watcher / lover and this was not a normal bird I have around the farm.
  •  Hi all, I thought I would give you an update on my unidentified bird. It is believed to be a Brahminy Kite and has since been spotted by someone else about 30 miles away. I have set up a wildlife camera and popped a fresh dead chicken out for it (I'm a poultry farmer) so fingers crossed I might get some better shots. There is someone from Beast Watch coming to make a plan. They are a dedicated escapee exotic capture rescue group. None have been registered as escapee and I guess if this one has been blown off course from India it will be rather cold!! I'll share the picture the other people got. Thank you all that helped me.

• Hi Sharon. Wow! What an interesting visitor you have. To be honest, I’ve never heard of them before so this is educational. I looked them up and see they also are found in Australia. I hope the rescue group can help. Also hope that maybe it’s ringed. Looking forward to seeing more pics and possible footage from your wildlife cam. Keep us posted!