Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 December 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• To M&S Food this afternoon. Not horribly busy, and a beautiful drive to get there - blue sky and totally dry.

Got to go to bed early - getting up at 4:30 for OH and J to leave at 5:30 for J's day of appointments in Manchester - two hospitals. Good that he managed to get them to see him the same day, but it does make the day very long.
  • Thinking of you all, OG. Hope they get off OK in the morning.

Lynette, thank you for your cheerful card.

Heather - I've been tired myself. Don't seem to have as much get up -& go as I used to have, either!

Awful news about the fierceness of the fires in Australia, it seems to worsen every time we hear about it. Saw the brave boy who drove his way out of trouble - good job he had the presence of mind to keep going in adversity.
  • About 100 fires burning across NSW, half out of control. One is described as a huge mega-blaze. Most farm kids are fairly resourceful and can drive even tractors; it’s OK on private property. Legal age is 16. I confess I started driving about 14 with my father using his long legs to reach the clutch. So really I was only learning to steer.

I was out and about early for food shop but it was so hot that I came home to sit beneath a/c. City passed 44 C at 1 pm, so much for prediction. Botanic Gardens staff have sprinklers on for the colony of fruit bats (grey-headed flying foxes) that roost in the trees.

• AQ: Dang, that's hot. Please drink lots of water and don't try to do too much. Very cold here, so I'll try to direct it your way. I'll send snow, too.
  • The two men set off to M'Cr at 5:45 am and I am sitting here waiting for daylight. Weather forecast is not too bad for their journey.

LYNETTE - you seem to have Christmas well organised; thanks for the card above. I bought a chocolate log in M&S - first time that I haven't made one! It looks very similar, but I usually make mine with a branch or two.

AQ - sorry about the heat and the fire warnings reaching your area. Stick close to that a/con!

Returning to pastry: We don't use ready-rolled as it is too thick for my liking, so we buy the blocks and all OH has to do is roll it out. He's very good with puff pastry but can't seem to master shortcrust! I'll have another try myself, on a day when my hands aren't too painful.

The handwritten contributions for the January Magazine have arrived, so I shall work on that today so I won't need to do much to finish it next week for printing on 28th. Hardest part is trying to get info for the diary, such as when various groups start again after the holiday.
  • Good Morning. Cold here, but not as cold as yesterday.

AQ - Just can't imagine how hot that feels -- we were once abroad when it was mid 30s and that felt like opening the oven door! Do hope the temps drop soon. Take care.

Tired already of all the media analysis of the election results, but at least things sound more positive now. Let's hope that actions can match the words, on all the promises made.
  • Hope the journeys go well for your menfolk, OG, and it's not too tiring a day for them both. Take it easy while they're gone!
  • I second that, OG! Will you have a ready cooked meal ?
    AQ - Thinking about you and your precious plants x

It is a bright cold day here today.
  • And I third it! Hope all the travelling goes well, OG, and that you manage to decipher the writing for your January magazine. I get a month off! Our magazine covers December and January, so I only have … a million other things to do before the event!!!

It's crisp and sunny here - the first day without rain for a very long time. I am out to lunch with friends today, at a local Thai restaurant, and then a friend and I are going off to Standen (local National Trust property) which 'does' Christmas decorations really well. Hope the weather holds so we can go and visit Father Christmas in his grotto in the garden …
  • HEATHER - I have a meal of leftover cottage pie for this evening (homemade) from the freezer, and leftover veg from yesterday to go with it, so shall be well fed. I just ate an early lunch as I only drank water between 5 o'clock breakfast and 11am, so suddenly realised why I got really hungry!

PAT - Pat - I got most of the material typed up, and set up the January Magazine from the template - still got to complete the diary - if groups ever get around to giving me their start dates - and the other official/admin stuff. No preaching plan in place as of last Sunday as the worship planning group were waiting to find out whether the new minister will come and when he can be inducted. I hope you had a really good lunch and visit today.

OH phoned when they arrived in good time for the first appointment (surgeon at Wythenshawe). After that, they were having to hurry to the other at The Christie (Thyroid Clinic). Must clear up my untidy dining room from lunch, then come back to "work".