Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 November 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

The moon turns full on Tuesday, 12 November. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Annette: More impeachment hearings have been scheduled for next week: 8 witnesses over 3 days. I also had to mute several people. I will join you in sipping that champagne. Actually, I'd prefer a large Mocha Latte. LOL

• Diane:  With a shot of brandy?    :-)     More hearings this Friday with Marie Yovanovich.

• Harelady: I didn't know that Katie had been a student of modern history. Robert Kennedy was an honorable man. Unlike most politicians, he evolved as he campaigned for office and served in government. He was deeply moved by the conditions he saw in the country: the poverty, the racism, the injustice. Unlike today's politicians, he had a moral compass. He adapted his thinking and his policies to address the issues he saw. I remember him and have great respect for him.

Yup. The U.S. government keeps changing the Social Security (government pension) years for us, too.

To receive 100% of my monthly benefit, I have to work until I reach my full retirement age of 66 years and 6 months old. (I said 65 in my earlier post, but that's a typo. It was 65, but not now.)

If I work until age 70, I can collect 128% of my full benefit. I'd get an extra 28% for delaying retirement, but I probably won't last that long. Life expectancy in the U.S. is markedly declining for people who aren't wealthy.

Like in the U.K., young people here will also have to work until age 70+. The Republicans, as well as many Democrats, want to reduce, end, or privatize Social Security, so it probably won't even be available for much longer.

Hope your work is going okay, Harelady.

• Annette: Maybe a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream. LOL!

• Good Morning. Laughing here, about the various alcoholic promises, LOL!

We may be opening some champagne we have in the cupboard here, in the next day or two - it looks as if our financial woes are at last coming to conclusion. Someone gave my OH a bottle of good stuff a few years ago, as a thank you for his help with something. We held onto it but did not open it even when the latest grandchild appeared, as even if we'd invited sis in law over, she would still have had to face the drive home so would not have had more than half a glass. Now I'm going to put it in the fridge to chill.

Diane, make that skin problems in the plural, as several small things I've had in the past all flared up, together with some new ones! I have a big itch and red skin around my wedding ring, too, which I can't remove as my finger joints are bigger than 40 years ago! Thinking of having it cut off.  But I think the cream is helping, plus I'm trying to be positive but of course I've been worrying about my OH as well. Ho hum, such is life - we're not flooded out like some poor souls.

Was upset to see the terrible flooding affecting Venice: apparently the barriers which were supposed to have been completed years ago are still not ready, due to corruption and delay. Grr. We loved Venice when we had a day and a half there, and were dismayed to see the wooden walkways stored in every main street ready for the next flood.

• Hope that things are improving for OG and family, and that J continues to mend.

Off to get started as bathrooms to clean, and other joyful chores.....

Edit:  Just as I wrote the above, my OH returned home as his golf course is closed due to the heavy rain.

• LINDY Glad your financial issues should be coming to a close.
  • J walked to town with OH this afternoon as he felt in need of getting out of the house and getting some moderate exercise. Both wrapped up in warm layers, and after leaving J at a coffee shop while he did a couple of messages, OH walked home and fetched J's car to fetch him home as he had had enough! He seemed pleased to have done it.
  • Sounds as if the outing will have done him good, OG. A lot of walking for EE, though!

We have been out to lunch to celebrate. Went to a local pub/restaurant and we both had a beautiful fish pie, with mashed potato and a little cheese on top. As it was a special occasion, we indulged in pudding - I had a nice slice of pear & caramel cheesecake, which turned out to be a vanilla cheesecake with slices of pear in it, and a caramel sauce around it, with cream. My OH had sticky toffee pudding, and was pleased to find it came with custard. All very good. When we got home, though, I was incapable of moving from my sofa as not used to being so full in the middle of the day!
  • So glad the money issue is resolved and celebrated in style!