Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 November 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

The moon turns full on Tuesday, 12 November. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Hi all, just been reading through all your news.

Do hope OG and family begin to feel better soon, particularly OG. Glad to hear J's op has gone well, bound to be some bruising. Do hope he gets his appetite back soon.

Diane - stay warm as you say you are expecting an icy chill to descend.

Annette - stay safe from the wildfires.

Lindy - hope Bonnie is smelling wonderful again after her roll in something .............

All done and dusted. They were so patient with me last Friday. Only trouble is trying not to bend right down so pressure goes into eye. Everyday things you take for granted you have to remember to try and keep your head up, at least for a few days. Plus the drops, 1 week AB's and 28days other drops. We'll get there. Oh and there's the shield you have to wear at night for a week but at least thats a transparent one. Just number 2 to have done eventually.
  • Large parts of NSW declared catastrophic conditions today as temp rises, 600 school closed. Lunchtime there were warnings for 3 areas “too late to leave now, take cover”. Not expected to improve, no rain. QLD serious too. Our state had a hot day yesterday and late pm a bad fire on outskirts of Port Lincoln, 2 houses lost, wind direction changed & swept fire away from town.
  • AQ: This must be so worrying and downright scary.  How long has this drought been going on?  

Lynette: We are safe - no fires. We are heading into cooler/wetter season anyway.  It's Australia that's currently burning up.  :- (    Hope you can bend over soon!

Diane: Full moon tomorrow night.  I watched Griffith Park Observatory's live stream of the Mercury transit (after the fog finally lifted) and the general insignificance of puny humans in this universe was reinforced!    Amazing video of snow in Chicago!  I really do feel for you!

OG; Seriously hope you feel better soon and that you and J and EE will be back to normal.

Heather: Have a good time with the Vikings!  

• AQ: I've just listened to the BBC World Service coverage of the Australia fires, and I've been reading about the conditions there. I just read that for the first time in recorded history, there was no rain anywhere on the mainland of Australia today. An overwhelming tragedy. I hope you and your family will be safe. 

Lynette: I'm glad that your eye surgery is complete and has gone well. Take care! 

OG: I hope your antibiotics and J's medication work quickly and effectively. 

• Annette: I admit that I missed the Mercury transit this morning. I'd worked late, and I slept in. By the time I remembered the transit, it was over. LOL 

I had 5 inches of snow, high winds, and ice by sunset tonight. I've gotten more snow since dark. By morning, the "feels like" temp will be minus -4 F or minus -20 C here. It's really early for this polar vortex. The eastern U.S. is predicted to break over 300 weather records for early cold temps. I'm wearing my coat in the house tonight, but I'm fine.

I'm not complaining. At least my house isn't in danger of fire, like AQ's. I don't know how one deals with that unrelenting threat.

• AQ - I was also listening to the WS last night , hearing about the dreadful fires. I'm thinking about all affected and potentially affected.

DIANE - You said earlier that you were expecting bad weather but I didn't realise how bad. I feel guilty for complaining about the heating in my house - must apologise for my moaning and groaning...

OG - I hope that the ABs kick in quickly for you, and that J gets his appetite back. I imagine that you would have been exhausted after a return journey within such a few days, plus the natural worries of parents. You were ripe for nasty bugs to attack.

LINDY - your squirrel was enjoying some feast, I think. I've got birdy poop all over the slabs, where they were enjoying fallen grapes!

LYNETTE - take care and enjoy the results of the procedure x

ANNETTE - I hope that you are getting better sleeps.
  • The friend I met in Sydney earlier in the year has been evacuated from her home as the fires are on the upper ground above the valley where she lives. She has safe lodgings for the time being, but some people are camped on a nearby sports ground. Two houses have gone from her immediate area, but for the time being hers is safe. When you know someone involved, it is no longer just a news item. The nearest place to her home is Tuntable. Today and Saturday are thought to be critical, and they have been told they will not be allowed back to their homes until at least Sunday. A dreadful situation ...
  • Absolutely, PAT - I heard a fellow on the radio saying that at least his family were safe, even if they lost the house and all their possessions. He was being very brave but I could hear his voice cracking.....
  • Good Morning. Dreadful news about how bad the fires are in Aus. My heart goes out to those worried about losing their homes.

Lots of people in UK still affected by flooding: a lot of them saying that they have no insurance because it's happened before so they have been unable to insure.

Raining heavily here - it was supposed to be light rain in the night but I could hear it pounding down.

I'm off to the Docs this afternoon to see her about some skin complaints which have flared up.
  • We are so lucky here: no fire, flood or famine! Not even raining today. - and three "sunshine and showers but cold" days to follow.

J just took his first new med and a late breakfast. My ABs seem to be working already - still very sleepy. Haircut this afternoon - couldn't really cancel as it would upset timings up to and through holiday period - already changed December once for one of J's many hospital check-ups. Have I mentioned he had a call from Dumfries first day home from Manchester to ask if he still wanted his eye op! He was busy throwing up at the time, so they will phone again in a couple of weeks! Could be "fun" as I am due two check-ups next month!

OH has made a cup of coffee, so must get on with that and then shower so I shall be reasonably respectable for hairdresser!