Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a wonderful autumn week!

The heat wave is over here. Going to turn cold!

• LINDY- I'm happy that your financial stuff will probably be sorted soon. It is sometimes difficult, I believe, to untangle funds that are tied up in some way. After my OH died I found papers relating to a bond he had bought years ago. Because of the circumstances the money was obtained easily. I'm not sure if he would have found it as easy if he'd needed to realise it earlier!!
  • Heather: When our smoke alarms start "tweeting" we poke at the reset button with a broom handle! But if it does indeed need a new battery, there's nothing for it but to get out some steps and take it down to see to it. Probably better that you don't try to do it yourself, as you might have a fall.

Annette - We also have a cinema which shows operas and ballet direct from theatres in London. I've not been yet, but might make the effort sometime.

Our finances are pretty straightforward as we sorted some bits of things out into more easily understood "lumps" in case of our sons needing to unravel it all, a while ago, but we decided to liquidate some of it recently. However, things seem to have conspired against us, without going into too much detail :-) Edit:  Much tearing out of hair and gnashing of teeth....

It stayed sunny all morning here, and we have had an outing which included going to the giant M&S where I bought myself 2 pairs of trousers, and a cute Chr*****ssy sweater for little Matthew. Then we braved Lakeland, where I got the exciting items of a new laundry basket for taking stuff into the garden, a non stick bun tin, and some tins of biscuits for gifts. We had lunch in a garden centre, where my OH had quiche and salad, and my huge platter full which consisted of a flatbread enclosing chicken with avocado mousse, tiny grilled tomatoes, salad, and sweet potato fries!!

Edit - which was very yummy, I'll have it again some time!

It rained on the way home, and poured while we had a good hot cuppa.

• A friend and I had a lovely day out. First we went to Knole in Sevenoaks, where they have done extensive renovations and opened several new rooms since I was last there two years ago. Then lunch - a delicious jacket potato with cheese. Then a walk in the sunshine - yes, the sun shone all day! - and some pictures of the deer. Lots of stags with massive antlers, and lots of little subservient does. It was still quite early so we decided to visit Quebec House, another National Trust property, on the way home. It was the former home of General James Wolfe. Small, but beautifully formed, and interesting. From there we walked into Westerham and saw a huge (and rather good) statue of Churchill, and then visited St Mary's Church - beautiful! And the sun kept shining. I feel as though I've had a week's holiday instead of just a day out. Note to self - do it more often!
  • Sounds like a good day, Pat. Looked up Quebec House and it appears very interesting. Nice that you enjoyed some autumn sunshine!

It can be a real boost to have a good time away for the day!
  • Lurker here ... long time since I posted but I do read every day.
    Difficult time with dog issues 3 ops and a sedation and 2 holidays which has helped.
    Now I am in Forest Boar country just outside of Monmouth visiting eldest. Before that youngest came to stay and we drove the 610 miles to Bournemouth where she now lives and had a lovely few days.
    Visited the Sidmouth donkey sanctuary and gave a few moments to think about our dear friend Margo as it was one of her happy places.
    Weather not looking great but it’s nice to be with family.
  • LINDA - we also have a cinema which receives the relayed stage shows and concerts, but I've never been inside so I don't know if I would cope with the seating. It is a privately owned cinema - 2 screens at present, soon to be three as they have closed the attached bingo hall. J goes often for films. Pleased you are sorting the finances and will be treating yourselves a bit more rather than just thinking of the boys.

We had sun this morning, rain from lunchtime and then more sunshine mid-afternoon, so not a bad day.

PAT - glad you chose such a bright dry day for your outing, and that you both had such a good time.

WENDY - good to see you - enjoy the few days with elder daughter now.

J had a call at lunchtime to say his consultant surgeon had received some late information from the Christie which made him change his mind - so now J will have a full thyroidectomy instead of the rhs only! It was a bit sudden, although we had originally thought it was quite likely! He came home at lunchtime to talk about it, and slept all afternoon - but he will go back to work tomorrow.
  • Sudden news, then, OG. Good that at last it's all decided and made clear to you, also. Maybe it's for the best.

Wendy, nice to hear from you. Enjoy yourself even though the weather is not summery.  I still sometimes think of Margo and how she loved the donkeys.

Tired now once again: Been tidying up my emails and trying to file the important ones -,discovered that I had two separate ones marked "Important" , in different places, which explains why sometimes I don't seem able to find things.... Ho hum.

• OG: Hope J is feeling okay about the expanded surgery. Will that change the length of the stay in the hospital?

Hi to everyone else - and thanks for all your news. Nothing much to report here.
  • Good Morning. Annette, I hope you're resting after your busy times lately.

Dull and showery here: my OH is going off to play the all day game which was postponed a fortnight ago due to bad weather. This means he has to miss the funeral of someone he's known for many years, but as this person is well known in the town there will be a big turn out for his funeral. (Edit -- One of his golfing buddies will be missing the golf as he's also attending another funeral, of a man who was only 55.... shocking news)

I'm going to do exciting things like cleaning the kitchen floor!!

• LINDY you really should go to the live screenings. We saw "Don Giovanni" on Tuesday and have booked for "Coppelia" in December. We will book for others next year. "DonPasquale" is screened on 24/10 so may go to that as well. They are all done really well and it is almost like being there for real. In the interval they usually introduce some of the leads or give interesting info about the production.