Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Everyone have a wonderful autumn week!

The heat wave is over here. Going to turn cold!

• Not had time to read all of the above ---- my absence has been enforced by our not having Internet connection here all day. However, someone must have complained as its just come back on.

Spent the morning out, as not bad weather today.
  • PAT - the plate is larger than the frying pan, put on top and tip over quickly. Then slide the tortilla back into the pan. I use a non stick pan and the minimum of oil and of course, not too high a heat. My son makes a good omelette in a smaller pan (cast iron) with a metal handle. He cooks it until the bottom is cooked to his satisfaction of and then puts the pan under the grill to finish off the top.
  • Heather - Ah, now it all makes sense. I was imagining a smaller plate ... must remember to buy some eggs and give it a go. I'm all keen now!
  • I must confess (yes, another one) I have never attempted to cook a tortilla or omelette in a frying pan! I use the oven for almost everything! Not that I cook now as I can't stay standing up long enough.

But I did make the marinade for today's pork - and I prepared the runner beans, straight in from the garden and still delicious. I also chopped the ingredients for the green tomato chutney.

J is still determined he will get to work tomorrow - hope nothing upsets him between now and the morning!
  • OG - I have a problem. On Christmas Day 2016 my oven went 'bang', fusing all the lights. I haven't bothered to get it looked at/repaired, as I am quite happy with stir-fries, casseroles (in the slow cooker) and microwave. I have become very inventive! I don't use processed stuff or 'ready' meals - so Heather's tortilla is just what I need!
  • Internet is coming and going -- very frustrating.

We're going to head home in the morning, so don't know if I'll be able to post then, 1st thing, but will hope to catch up with you when we get back
  • OG – Thank you. Googling Kaffir lily led me to Clivia. No, we have that and it is different (and a haven for snails, alas). They also mentioned Schizostylis and Hesperantha. There was a 2012 Telegraph report on genus naming, hence I think my mystery orange things are some variety of Hesperantha. A nicer name to say as well! 6 petals with dark throat on three.

Duster being wafted around today as Dau & Trio are visiting tomorrow. Miss8 will collect her birthday parcel, MissL will collect her repaired wee knitted bag.

• Evening all

Interesting about tortillas.  We make quesadillas and burritos but don't necessarily use any oil and if any, it's minimal.  I use a non-stick sautee pan but you can also use the microwave....    We also add sour cream, guacamole and salsas.  Yum!

OG: Had no idea about PC-ness of Kaffir; had to Google it to find out why and, like AQ; we call it Clivia . Is J's "real" boss returning to his post any time soon?

Diane:  Hope you got your computer problems sorted.

Lindybird: Safe trip home.

Another lazy day for me, but a busy week ahead.

Take care all.

• Annette: Yup. Computer seems to be running better than before the crash. Thanks! I may have a minor problem with a software subscription. Those big tech companies are all in violation of anti-trust laws and should be broken up--if we had a government who accepted the rule of law. Grrr

• Good Morning. Took ages to get on here, and haven't got long as must sluice myself down and get going.

Sorry to hear about your computer problems, Diane - at least you know enough to sort some of it out yourself. Hope all comes right in the end.

Wild, windy and wet here - looking forward to going home, even though some friends arrived yesterday.