DAILY UPDATES - Loch Garten nest - June 2019

• I don't disagree with trying anything to attract osprey to the nest although this action does seem a bit like clutching at straws. I see no harm in changing the variables that can be changed & seeing what happens, the camera being one of the few variables that can be changed.
    As a general point of principle though, I do think we humans tend to overstate our knowledge of wild creatures with the result that conjecture quickly becomes fact in our minds.
    A while back there was an episode of In our Time on BBC Radio Four about bird migration. The format of this programme is that three renowned experts in any particular field engage in a discussion on the topic at hand in response to questions put to them by the host (Melvyn Bragg). During this particular episode it was very refreshing to hear the experts answering "we just don't know" numerous times in response to questions about migration.
    In relation to the situation at LG, we may well just have to also admit "we just don't know" but continue to change the variables that can be changed and hope for the best.
    Ian

• I am just as mystified and disappointed as any, so all these conjectures are of interest to me. However I wonder whether we will ever know the mind of an osprey in its decision-making regarding nests. Some long-standing nests in the US have gone empty in the past few years too, Blackwater National Refuge being one that has lost its eaglecam and ospreycam nest residents after more than a decade or two of occupation. Yet other nesting locations have cropped up.

EDIT: @Ian S Just after I posted, I saw your post, and you stated coherently my thoughts already!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2019 DU Summaries

• Didn't we read a story recently about an osprey being spotted in a nest that had not been used for 40 years. Obviously no webcam there, but still no osprey bothered with it. However as has been said, I suppose anything is worth a try.

© Scottish Wildlife Trust - Loch of the Lowes

• CC, not so sure about coherent, long-winded maybe :) Ian
  • Does anyone know how close other active Osprey nests are to the Loch Garten nest? How many years does it take to set up a translocation programme? Might RD and friends consider translocating young Ospreys from other Scottish nests to LG? Could enough volunteers be found locally to support such a programme for as many years as it would take? Or is the entire prospect completely unfeasible and totally ridiculous?

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Starling:

Starling said:
    Didn't we read a story recently about an osprey being spotted in a nest that had not been used for 40 years. Obviously no webcam there, but still no osprey bothered with it. However as has been said, I suppose anything is worth a try.

Starling, I don't remember that, however the last time I questioned your memory about Loch Arkaig I was wrong and you were right :) Ian

• Well Ian I will try and paste a link, but don't hold your breath :)
    community.rspb.org.uk/.../1243890

Hooray, I managed

© Scottish Wildlife Trust - Loch of the Lowes

• Hi Ian, if you type in "A9 birds" on a web search, you will get their face book page. I am not on face book but if you scroll down a good bit, you will see a picture of a tree with the Osprey nest and the heading, nest used after 40 years.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Snap, Starling and Tiger have beat me to it. Well done.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.