MANTON BAY – JUNE 2019

Link to previous thread:   Manton Bay – May 2019

The season so far:    Maya arrived back 14 March and Blue 33(11) on 23 March.  Maya laid 4 eggs 2, 5, 8 and 11 April hatching 11, 11, 13 and 17 May.   Maya and 33 continue to work hard to raise their young and 33 is once more proving to be an excellent provider bringing in plenty of fish to feed his family.  

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• I couldn't resist this family portrait Smiley

#4 - "I'll keep a look out this way!"

Copyright Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• 33 just delivered a whopper!

#4 and #3 up first 

#4 getting a few bits

12:42   #3 leaves and #4 is joined by one of the older chicks(1) who pecks #4 and now gets fed.   #4 moves aside.

12:45 The other older chick(2) moves up and aggressively attacks #4

The older chick (2) stomps around while #4 remains in submission.   This is the same older chick that was very aggressive to #4 last night after the other eldest chick had attacked it (it has a slightly broader stripe on its forehead hence being able to ID it)

12:50  #1 continues to eat and #3 moves forward

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Feed continues

12:53 #3 now gets fed while the older chick(1) turns away

12:55 #4 gets up and joins #3 and gets fed again

The older chick(2) creep up and then attacks #4 again

it then turns on #3

Maya feeds the older chick - #4 cannot move but it is ready to pounce on it.   #3 moves over to join the other older chick at the front on the nest.  

• The older chick now turns away and joins its siblings. #4 also crept across the nest a few minutes ago.

13:09 The older chick has returned for more fish and Maya continues to feed.

13:11 Once more it turn away and joins its siblings and Maya starts to clean up.

That was a whopper of a fish and there is plenty left for all the family.    

• The only difference I can see between the two older chicks, and it is very, very slight,  is the middle stripe on the forehead.  It is still very, very hard to tell them apart.

Chick 1 (only calling it "1" because it seems to be able to put the other in its place but of course could be down to female/male or just temperament)  - the stripe is narrower at the bottom  and the other, Chick 2, the stripe is straighter and thicker at bottom

The second chick with that slighter broader stripe appears to be the more aggressive of the two.   But it is so hard telling them apart - I just hope some more and better distinguished marks appear as they grow.

• #4 has now got itself up and being fed

#3 gets up too and looks but does not join #4 and settles down for a snooze.

#4 continues to enjoy an uninterrupted nosh while the older chicks sleep

13:34   #4 turns away stuffed full.  

and now collapses along side its siblings leaving Maya to enjoy some fish

• The older chick (1) had returned and got a good few more pieces of fish from Maya.   #3 joined it and looked a little wary but got a few bits and then the older chick left coming across the nest to lie down and leaving #3 being fed.

and now #4 joins #3 but it cannot eat any more and #3 enjoys a good feed

Good to see both youngsters - #3 and #4 getting a good feed.

Must go - BFN

• It's been a roller-coaster ride, reading your amazing commentary this morning, KAREN !!!  I don't know how you do it :o :o :o

I'm so grateful we ended on a high... #4-wise ;)

Thank you so much for your hard work.

IMAGICAT

• I’ve just returned from a early bird start and dreaded catching up but it seems 3 and 4 have managed to get to the front. Thanks everyone.
  • Fully agree with Scylla, wonderful commentary and pics Karen!