Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 May 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! I hope everyone has a wonderful week! I’m taking a short break from work to say hello to you all and tell you about my new friend.

Every summer, I seem to have one animal who chooses to stay close to my house and keep me company. Last year, it was the little yearling white-tailed deer. This year, it’s an enormous groundhog! He’s made a burrow underneath the fallen apple tree next to my bedroom window, and he’s been spending his days puttering around my front porch, eating the weeds that I’ve allowed to grow.

He’s a formidable critter. A couple of decades ago, we had a huge groundhog on this land. My Mom named him “Bear,” because he was nearly as large as a bear cub. The current resident groundhog must be Bear’s descendent, because he’s a big fella! He has immense teeth (I think he’s fairly old) and long, thick claws. Despite his scary appearance, he’s been friendly to me. Groundhogs generally avoid people and can be hostile to humans if they feel crowded or cornered, but Bear II makes no effort to leave when I go outdoors. When I talk to him, he tilts his head like a dog and stares at me with interest. LOL He makes me laugh, waddling around the yard.

I didn’t try to photograph him, because I read that mobile phones and other devices emit electromagnetic fields that some animals, including groundhogs, can hear (or feel?). He looks like the one in this photo, though.

Groundhog, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
NPS photo labeled “Public domain” (copyright free)

• Lynette: Legal drinking age in California is 18; you can get a provisional drivers license at age 15.5 and a regular licence at age 16 after 6 months with a provisional licence and after fulfilling other requirements. It's complicated: A provisional licence lets you drive as long as you have a parent, guardian or adult over age 25 with you. There are also restrictions on driving at night, but not sure when those applies....

Heather: Have a lovely time; hope you're happy with your new top!

Lindybird:  The other place those dust bunnies like is the top of door fames.  :-(

Back to my scanning chores......

• Good Morning. Hoping for a dry couple of days, so I can wash some of our soft furnishings.

Hope Heather has a nice long weekend.

Also hope ForestBoar continues to improve after sorting his health worries.
  • Goodness, It's quiet on here. Heather is absent hopefully enjoying her break, and OG has been busy, I think.

I seem to be working in spurts, then stopping. Still, some things are getting done: my big hanging basket is planted up, and some stuff has been moved and dusted in the dining room. How did we ever have time to go to work? My days are full.

My OH went for a blood test this morning, and collected another container for my wee sample from the surgery, as the one I had/was given the other day was the wrong sort, apparently. We hope that eventually we will both get through the various medical appointments we have -- "it looks like I'm falling apart!" exclaimed my OH.
  • Lindybird:  Sounds like your OH is too busy to fall apart.   We got some chores done yesterday too: Plumber came to put the grout around the toilet base and around the kitchen sink (how exciting can things get!).  Doing nice smooth grout lines is not part of my OH's skill set.  We also put up a large hook on the front porch to hang a short hose that is always  tripping me up and I started in on deadheading the Iceberg roses after the first and very prolific bloom of the year.  Today I'm off to a flooring place to see if there's any chance of matching the existing laminate flooring in OH's office and down the hall, then some other errands.  The carpeting I swore would be pulled out the day after our cat departed for that great litter box in the sky is still here, but it's time to Do Something and it's up to me to get things moving. In a perfect world, I'd like to put in a nice hardwood or engineered wood through the house, but OH is having fits at the thought of moving his desk, file cabinets and especially his huge and loaded down bookshelves, which are attached to the walls (in case of earthquakes).   The flooring people I've spoken to say they do all that but OH isn't having any of it!  Sigh. So looks like a compromise is the first option, but not sure if it's the last....

Hope everyone else is well.  I'm off to check the news to see what fresh hell the Orange Menace has unleashed on the country....

• Well, nice of you to think so, but OG is not really very busy! Unfortunately my mood this week is matched to the weather - I am awaiting the next instalment of summer!

Heather - is the christening this weekend? I was sure it was next week! Hope the visit will be a good one!

People and OHs with health issues, I hope everyone will feel better soon.
  • My OH went for his blood test, did three other errands in the town, came home, mowed the lawn, cut a section of hedge, then decided that it was time he removed the wire netting he had put above the fence all down one side of our property. The neighbours hedge is on the other side of the fence, and the new neighbours have let this grow much higher than previously. The netting was attached to the fence to stop Bonnie jumping it, when she was a teenager. Now, she is more solid as an adult dog and heavier, and her back legs won't "spring" enough to get her over the fence, so the netting can go. He had a bit of a fight with it, as the beech hedge had grown through everything, but eventually he got it off and then -- he cut the rest of the hedge! That was just this morning. He did sit down after lunch....

I've been throwing out my mother's books on antique collecting. They were already out of date as regards the prices suggested, of course (late 80s and early 1990s) but there are interesting pics. However, I have sold a great deal of her bits now, and most of what remains I don't want to part with. I certainly can't begin collecting any new stuff!!

The weather meant that we had twenty minutes outside on garden chairs in between gardening, but it's been quite cloudy.

I sympathise about getting proper grout lines, Annette. I bought my OH a small gadget for doing them right, when he first tackled tiling our bathroom.  I also sympathise about your having to work towards a compromise on the flooring, it's a hard one to get right as floors make a big difference. I see that D.T. has been annoying the Mexicans again!

• OG - I think that's why Heather was searching for something to wear, so it must have been the Christening this week. Sorry your mood is clouded! I think you've been unlucky with the weather recently, perhaps you'll get some sun this weekend when it's supposed to warm up.
  • Just a quick visit: I am now aware that I am going to have to put up with a period of restoring my previous health?ish. The ongoing problems took more of a toll than I thought. Listening to the radio @that's Life!
  • Indeed, Linda. I dread to look in some places. I dust where I can reach.
  • I keep looking at my soft furnishings - must do them sometime. Managed to sweep path up the side of the house - full of debris etc from our flowering cherry. Looks a lot better. Weather the next two days are supposed to be quite warm with a cold front coming in next week.

Dau has been doing the lawns for us whilst on half-term holiday - bless. We are both going to see Aladdin tomorrow early evening. Don't know what it will be like - its the grown up version.

Have a good weekend all.