Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 May 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! I hope everyone has a wonderful week! I’m taking a short break from work to say hello to you all and tell you about my new friend.

Every summer, I seem to have one animal who chooses to stay close to my house and keep me company. Last year, it was the little yearling white-tailed deer. This year, it’s an enormous groundhog! He’s made a burrow underneath the fallen apple tree next to my bedroom window, and he’s been spending his days puttering around my front porch, eating the weeds that I’ve allowed to grow.

He’s a formidable critter. A couple of decades ago, we had a huge groundhog on this land. My Mom named him “Bear,” because he was nearly as large as a bear cub. The current resident groundhog must be Bear’s descendent, because he’s a big fella! He has immense teeth (I think he’s fairly old) and long, thick claws. Despite his scary appearance, he’s been friendly to me. Groundhogs generally avoid people and can be hostile to humans if they feel crowded or cornered, but Bear II makes no effort to leave when I go outdoors. When I talk to him, he tilts his head like a dog and stares at me with interest. LOL He makes me laugh, waddling around the yard.

I didn’t try to photograph him, because I read that mobile phones and other devices emit electromagnetic fields that some animals, including groundhogs, can hear (or feel?). He looks like the one in this photo, though.

Groundhog, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
NPS photo labeled “Public domain” (copyright free)

• Its been a a nice comfortable temp day. Shopping in Monmouth, It is beautiful shopping in a 'genteel' market town. Completed all our requirements. Seeing a lot of references to a certain ready food shop, can I suggest a visit to Iceland, they have a wonderful range of good quality meals at good prices. Just an idea. We ignored it for quite a time
    but are now convinced.

Just had a good day re: aches and pains etc, just waiting for the response on Wednesday at the surgery.
  • Great to hear that you've had a good day, FB.
    Middle daughter and I have found real bargains at shops like this!. I'm not too old to get quite excited when I find things like that!
  • I hadn't expected to come back lighter than I started - but it was a good result, even though we could all have done with the food being a higher standard. And with more variety. And decently cooked - anyone like almost raw potatoes?????

Bank Holiday here today. I had intended to do so much. So what did I do? I went and played bowls - for the first time sine I came back. Essential because I have a match next week, and I must not let my partner down. But I do need elastic days. And elastic weeks.
  • So many posts yesterday and today, and sorry to say I am too tired to answer individuals!

The drive up to Langholm was lovely as usual, the meal was good and the concert was excellent - four piece band were very talented, and they each had a few solo spots in true jazz style - even in the encore. They and Ruby received a standing ovation - we all felt very satisfied at the end of the evening.

Of course it was a late night for us, and I unfortunately turned the TV on to keep me awake while OH made our hot chocolate and we got caught up in the European Election results, so got even later! We all managed to get up this morning!

Today we had mixed weather. I decided not to go to M&S so OH just did a quick shop in Tesco. He then managed to mow all the grass front and side and did some planting this afternoon between very short light showers. A bit more rain before dinner, but now a clear sunny evening!
  • Rain rain and more rain... daughter up previous week and the weather was glorious...
    Diane love your new friend...
    Pat O amazing memories and looser clothes a bit like a health farm maybe..
    ForestBoar eldest just this past week moved from Bath after 28 years to your area. A 4 mile walk along the river to Monmouth. A big decision but she and her OH are delighted to be amongst family from the F of D. Her partners youngest plays rugby for Cinderford and Gloucester under 20s.
    Off up north on Friday for a week with both dogs and weather a bit suspect. Ah well that’s Scotland for you.
    Fed up with politics.. we voted on all this before as we did for Scottish Independence just adhere to both those and move on.
  • More demolition noises today. I said it was not our Back Neighbour’s house but slightly further away, OH disagreed, arguing that the sound was been reflected off fences. As nothing could be seen over fence, he went for a walk around the block. He admitted I was right; the house 2 doors further along is disappearing. Meanwhile we are still intrigued by whatever is happening to Next Door’s renovations. It does seem A lot of work for so little gain in space.

OG - I hope despite tiredness that you do feel better for your outing.

PAT – “al dente” potatoes?

HEATHER -- I shall have to scold you as I do OH about pacing himself in garden. <grin>

FORESTBOAR – When we visited Monmouth, our guide did not explain what a “mono Bridge” was. Having spent time puzzling what was “mono” about it, only much much later did I discover it was “Monnow”.

ANNETTE – Since 2003 I have been on some 70 bus trips, mostly SA, visiting places from Port Augusta to Mount Gambier. As well, half a dozen interstate trips (NSW, QLD, WA & VIC). None over our winter (time for our tutors to spend time with their families or plan future trips for us). At same time Chauffeur Friend & I have probably had as many “escapes” to most places within 2 hours drive of home. Next bus trip for moi is end of August. Meanwhile I can take my camera on Sunday morn church “crawls”!!! PS I already have brochure for interstate trip next May; I shall be booking soon.

• Good Morning. Dry here after lots of lovely rain for our plants over the last few days.

AQ - That's an impressive total of trips. You must now be an expert on your part of Aus! There are lots of houses being extended here, as it's a cheaper alternative to the upheaval of moving to gain more space. British houses have been built with smaller and smaller rooms as the years have gone by, as an economy, plus due to the high price of land in some cities. Now people want more room, they're thinking of novel ways to grab space where they are already.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed your concert, OG.
  • LINDA – Aussie house rooms are much larger than yours according to Mr Grand Designs. People seem to want plenty of house and not much garden. nowadays. “Grandfather had a farm, his son has a garden, and his grandson has a can-opener.” [Prochnow] I couldn’t live without a garden. Many years ago when my girl friend & I were flatting, I had about 20 pots of succulents on our balcony.

• Plenty of houses here describe as a bedroom, a room in which you can only just fit a single bed and not much else!

Many people have a couple of decent sized bedrooms but if they're lucky enough to have it, the tiny "3rd bedroom" is usually used to fit in much of the stuff there no room for in the rest of the house, plus these days it becomes a computer room. (Just realised that I'm describing our house!) Also, the living areas have shrunk, whilst we all have more and more stuff. It's become surprisingly popular in cities to rent a storage room to keep things, as conversely there is at the same time a fashion for minimal decoration and display.
  • I hate clothes shopping. I have walked miles, looking for something new to wear to the christening at the weekend. I ended up in Laura Ashley ( yippee, 40% off everything ) and got a top, then M and S. Why is it so difficult to buy classic cut slacks? They are all wide, ankle grazers, turn ups, etc! I am not a dressy person and got rid of so many ' outfits' after OH died. He was involved in quite a lot of things and I needed things to wear to dinners, etc. Now, casual and at a push, smart casual are the only clothes I will spend money on! Rant over!