Update - Loch Garten Nest from Sunday 21 April 2019

After Friday's excitement seeing Mrs BTO (thanks Karen), not one osprey landed on the nest, although we think we heard one nearby. Super-sleuth-scylla managed to record what we heard. But maybe we were all haliaetus-hallucinating, as Fergus from LG HQ posted to say they'd not seen anything all day, except one osprey flying overhead (although some of us were watching the webcam before the centre opened).  Anyhow, there's always another day........

EDIT; title changed to 'update' as there's not a lot of nest activity at present. We can revert back to daily updates once we have 2 or 3 days of solid action if you get my drift

• Thank you for your understanding,  CC :-*

DAYCAM 05:30

IMAGICAT

• BTW, it's been good 'n raining and still is, I think.

IMAGICAT

• Just "announcing" my departure for a few hours ;) Hope the cam keeps going as I had to reset it to the Carnyx link after a Carnyx screen just now.

SYAL!

IMAGICAT

• Hey guys, Just a little update from LG.
    We are still having regular fly over from ospreys each day with yesterday being the first day that we had not successfully identified if there were ospreys in the area. Our pair of redstarts appeared to have returned and have been looking for a nesting site most mornings, as well as our first willow warbler and greenfinch spotted. This could be a positive sign that we are seeing more birds returning and might bring a young osprey couple onto our nest. Now that lots of ospreys are nesting we might see returning ospreys causing less disruption to active nests and settle down on our lovely nest! I urge you all to keep all fingers and toes crossed!
  • Thank you Fergus great to hear that Ospreys are flying in the locale. It’s such a shame the sound is off but needs must.
  • Many thanks Fergus - fingers and toes have definitely been tightly crossed in hope!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

•    

Fergus C said:
    Hey guys, Just a little update from LG.
    We are still having regular fly over from ospreys each day with yesterday being the first day that we had not successfully identified if there were ospreys in the area. Our pair of redstarts appeared to have returned and have been looking for a nesting site most mornings, as well as our first willow warbler and greenfinch spotted. This could be a positive sign that we are seeing more birds returning and might bring a young osprey couple onto our nest. Now that lots of ospreys are nesting we might see returning ospreys causing less disruption to active nests and settle down on our lovely nest! I urge you all to keep all fingers and toes crossed!

YES indeed Fergus . I applaud you for being so positive . This is the year for a new, young, pair to be very grateful for such a wonderful accommodation and give us many many years of enjoyment. 

• I think the RSPB staff and volunteers are just been positive to try and stop all of us feeling down. I’m afraid I am very pesimistic about anything happing this year at Loch Garten by any Osprey to take over the nest, despite what I’ve heard from members on this forum who knows lots more about Ospreys behaviour than some of us and some members very knowledgeable about Ospreys as well. I hope I’m wrong, but it will be the 1st May on Tuesday and nothing positive has really happened to make me think any different for 2019 and as I said earlier I fear it could be the first time since the first pair of Ospreys attempted to breed at Loch Garten in the 1950’s, that no attempt to take over the Loch Garten nest and also no attempt to breed might happen in 2019. I’ve felt like that for quite a while now despite lots of members of this forum putting on a positive outlook along with the Loch Garten staff and volunteers feeling positive. I expect there are lots of people feeling the same way as I have privately felt, but actually haven’t publicly commented on how they feel. I have a feeling that it could be the end of an era for Ospreys nesting at Loch Garten this year in 2019.. I’m sorry I’ve had to post how I feel and I hope I’m completely wrong about this

Regards,

Ian.

• The cam seems to be in trouble - I've got one of our number to check theirs and it's the same, so I've phoned Carnyx.

IMAGICAT