LOCH GARTEN NEST - 16 MARCH-19 APRIL 2019

This thread will continue daily until we decide that nest activities require the 2019 DAILY UPDATE to commence :)

Trying posted first live stream snap of 2019:

Nota bene - NO GLARE !!!

Not to be outdone (even tho she was) Scylla poked her nose in - what a shame that it shows how much better the VLC picture is, compared to (her) screen-capture:

No nest activities yet seen, it really is too bad !!! ;-D

YOUTUBE LIVE STREAM - opens in new tab/window

WATCH ON CARNYX.TV - opens in new tab/window

VLC LINK - Copy & Paste into "Open Network Stream"

http://carnyxlive.co.uk:1935/.../playlist.m3u8

IMAGICAT

• CRinger said:

she appears a little choosy on whether she will let a male land on the nest or not. 

And long may she continue to do so for we need a good strong male who will provide for his mate and chicks as well as defend the nest.

But this has me thinking ....  is she perhaps an older female and not some young, naive first time returnee???    Again, time will tell.

• 17.53 I see the cam is back on the nest. Home time for the VC is, I think 17.30, so we are unlikely to see her again until she lands on the nest once more.
    What a wonderful day! I think we all agree she should stick around! Fingers crossed she will.
    I am sure someone will be able to take a variety of shots (photos!) of her over the next days, maybe weeks, and be able to compile the BTO number!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Unknown said:
    CRinger said:
    A more permanent name may very well become apposite to all the better we get to know her.

Yes, it's a tricky business naming an osprey. LG named the (on and off) resident male last year last year, after George Waterston who did so much for the ospreys in Scotland. Unlike the on and off resident male.

Agree, names can be tricky and well, we need to wait and see if she stays.  But I would not name a bird after a such a prominent figure - no that honour should have been given to one of the hides as they did at the Lowes.
    But back to names and it is something I would not have to think too hard about for considering this is the start of a new era, a new beginning I can think of no better name for a new LG female, other than DAWN.
  • Looking forward to seeing your flyers, CRinger! - let's hope George's reading skills are up to deciphering them, if he does turn up!

Karen - I too wonder if the new arrival is an older bird. It struck me first thing, watching the video, that this is a confident bird, with great "presence". Can't really describe it, it's just "there".
  • A very astute thought Karen....... perhaps not a first time returnee but a female who has failed before to find a vacant territory. A more 'mature' female without a territory would be in my view an excellent half of a pair that could carry the flag for this nest for many years to come. As Sheila has just said, we may know much more if someone can get that BTO ring number.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Karen W said:

But back to names and it is something I would not have to think too hard about for considering this is the start of a new era, a new beginning I can think of no better name for a new LG female, other than DAWN.

I rather think, like others may have said, that the staff at the centre may well decide on a name................ but................ having said that, I cannot fault your logic AND what time did she arrive on the nest today? I have already set my alarm for tomorrow and know which url I will have on the laptop at DAWN tomorrow.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Good evening all, my oh my what an exciting day, I have just caught up, I new there was something when there were 64 posts to read! What a gorgeous Osprey, lovely markings. She certainly has made herself comfortable, fishing, very alert, watching, looking, waiting. I really hope she is here to stay and that a fine male will arrive soon, to be her new mate. Sorry George but not you, you may be a bit better than last year but we all need some good news on this nest this year, after the last two years sadness and the non return of our beloved EJ. Can't wait until tomorrow.

Welcome Alisonmac, I may have done this already, I am up in Caithness. Enjoy the madness that you have entered into.

AND Welcome back Oldshoremore, so good to hear from you.

Wow it is all happening.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• With the greatest of respect to the birds and to all contributors I have to say that I have enjoyed this day immensely. The best day at the LG nest this season. Possibly a new female, some great shots and video captures from those much more competent than me, some thought provoking comments in the posts, lots of useful observations and the emergence of a 'lurker' from the shadows - AlisonMac - now confident enough to post and make a valuable contribution. Thank you to all for making this such an enjoyable thread to read. 'Booooiiiiing' said Zebedee (a Magic Roundabout reference). Time for bed for me. An early DAWN is awaited with much anticipation. I believe that 'the game may at last be afoot (apologies to Sir Arthur).

• Catlady hi and thank you we are not far away from each other then lovely day here today hope it was nice up with you too