Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 2 December 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

Everyone have a wonderful and peaceful week!

• I used the default, standard font type this time, and that's the default line spacing. 

• Hey Diane: Thank you - was about to start the thread but then got a call from daughter and Ms. D who are having a weekend together while granddaughter is taking a few much needed days away with her on-again boyfriend. 

Lindybird:  Hope Thomasz had a good birthday and that the ride there and back was good. 

We are having wonderfully wild (for California) weather; am looking out the window a big gray/pink clouds scudding across the sky.  No rain today in our immediate area, but more to come this week I hear.

Hope everyone has a good week.  Do hope we'll see OG on here again soon......

• No worries, Annette. I had just paid some bills, and I was sitting here at my computer when I noticed that it was the right time for a new thread.

A little white-bellied prairie field mouse found his way into my house, so I took him into the forest (in the dark and 35 mph wind gusts!) and turned him loose in the old, abandoned, crumbling church. Temperatures turned weirdly warm and I had high winds and thunderstorms last night after the bitter cold of last week.

Heron: Your recipe sounds good. I mix hot chocolate mix with cappuccino mix and hot milk to get myself moving in the morning. Grinning

Lindy: Hope Thomasz had a lovely birthday.

• Thank you DIANE for starting us off. You are not shouting this week <grin>.

So much white space on the screen! If this software was a book publisher, just imagine how big a book “War & Peace” would be.

Hot enough yesterday for my washing to dry in an hour, followed by afternoon storm. Lightning strikes set off dozens of small fires – none too serious. Unlike poor QLD. Today it is cool and windy here.

OH saw an Adelaide Rosella in front garden. I’m wishing they would  take the place of the Noisy Miners who really are well named.

• AQ:  I can't imagine having such a spectacularly colored bird in the garden - so exotic.  This is awfully early in the season for the fires, right?

• Good Morning.  Thank you for starting us off, Diane.  AQ, I read about the spate of fires, which are earlier than usually expected this year.

We had good journeys both ways yesterday, although the speed limits through the very lengthy roadworks in the name of "improvements" mean that you roll along getting increasingly mesmerized by staying at one speed, often in one lane, for many miles. Now that some of it is finally nearing completion, they are going to start the next phase, farther along!!  Finish date??  --  2022!

Tomasz enjoyed his day - going to the Bowling Alley in the morning with 10 friends, having burgers for lunch, then seeing his relatives with more presents in the afternoon. We took the family out for a meal before we headed home in the evening. Little Matthew was all smiles also, and got more and more toys out of the cupboard, so we left them all to clear up when we left!

• Morning all:

Lindybird: Sounds perfect - have a nice day and then wave bye-bye, leaving them to clear up and put kiddies to bed, etc.  :-)

PatO: I know you're off on a cruise in January and were looking for some book suggestions. I've just started reading The Clockmaker's Daughter (a novel). I forget the author's name for now - but she's apparently had quite a few bestsellers. I've also just finished The Country That Was our Home (did I already mention this?) by Alia Malek; a memoir of her family's long-time home in Damascus. She's a U.S. civil rights attorney and has visited her deceased mother's house in Damascus many times over the last decade or so. Anyway, it's all about how they used to live and how life changed so much for those family members still there. Her family could be anyone's family, which makes the story so accessible. Anyway, if you let us know which books you've enjoyed in the past, I'll go back and see if there's anything similar on my list.

Just had nice chat with sister in Lincolnshire and have a pending FaceTIme call with niece, providing her cough isn't too bad.

Sunny and bright and fresh here. :-)

• Thank you for remembering, Annette!  I leave on 05 January - can't believe that's NEXT MONTH!  I have read 'The Clockmaker's Daughter' (Kate Morton).  Mostly I have been reading 'study' books recently - which I intend not to continue reading while I am away!  I have bought a Kindle and have downloaded lots of things on to that - novels, humour, music, golf, nature and so on.  All sorts of things I wouldn't normally read - and I'm looking forward to diving into new waters!  I've also got two memory sticks of talking books and another two with music.  Now I'm researching tapestry kits - but they are sooooo expensive!  The next thing is working out my wardrobe … 

• That's interesting - it seems to have appeared at the bottom!  I don't understand this site … 

• PatO:  Curiouser and curiouser!  But it moved to the top (probably best not to ask what goes on with the code once we've hit Reply).  Anyway, sounds like you've been busy sorting out reading/listening stuff.  I'll be interested to  know how much actual reading you'll do on the trip.  Was this a round-the-world trip (I forgot) but Darwin's The Voyage of the Beagle is fascinating if you're puttering around the Cape Horn neighborhood.....