Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 25 November 2018

Happy New Week!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful week!

I chose a Kestrel for this week, because I know that OG likes them. :-)

American Kestrel
Gardiner Basin, Yellowstone National Park, USA
National Park Service, NPS/Jim Peaco
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Diane:   You're not just a pretty face; you can upload photos too!  Thanks for starting us off - I have one eye on The Great Train Robbery and am late.

Lynette:  Your post noting the news re more changes did show up after Diane's "new thread" post this afternoon.  

Hang in there guys!

• No worries, Annette. I wanted to see whether I could start a thread and insert a photo. I was experimenting. 

Hi, everyone. This is for anyone interested in space. The Mars InSight rover has travelled 300 million miles, and NASA will land the rover on the surface of Mars on: 

Monday, 26 November at
    8:00 p.m. in the U.K. 
    3:00 p.m. in the eastern USA
    2:00 p.m. in Iowa
    12:00 p.m. (noon) in California

In Adelaide, Australia, it will be Tuesday, 27 November at 6:30 a.m.

These landing times are approximate. The live news coverage begins an hour earlier than the landing times above, so tune in early to make sure you don't miss it. You can watch the landing coverage live online at the following links:  NASA TV      NASA GOV      NASA JPL YOUTUBE      NASA USTREAM

This landing is a long-awaited exciting event for folks who follow space exploration.

• Diane:  I'll have to remember to be somewhere to watch the Mars in Sight landing; they've been talking about it on local television. Do hope all goes well.  It launched from Vandenberg 6 months ago....should be fascinating.   SpaceX is scheduled to launch a Falcon rocket carrying Reconnaissance Satellites on Wednesday morning out of Vandenberg and there's something else scheduled for the end of December.    Looks like you guys are due for a nasty winter storm this week - do take care.  We're due a fairly good-sized one with lots of rain on Thursday, which will probably end up heading your way too.  :-(

• Thanks for the Mars landing times Diane!

I do hope that everyone will get used to this new format soon and that the tweaks make a difference.

I went to small craft fair at Orford this morning after church, bought some small wax candles with rose and geranium and some cards with quotes on. I'm a big Leonard Cohen fan and I bought one that says "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in" and one by Nietzsche that says "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those that could not hear the music" I hope I can always hear the music Slight smile

• Thanks for the Mars landing times Diane!

I do hope that everyone will get used to this new format soon and that the tweaks make a difference.

I went to small craft fair at Orford this morning after church, bought some small wax candles with rose and geranium and some cards with quotes on. I'm a big Leonard Cohen fan and I bought one that says "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in" and one by Nietzsche that says "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those that could not hear the music" I hope I can always hear the music Slight smile

• Hi  Harelady:  I love that Leonard Cohen line about the light getting in (so much so that I voted "up" twice!  :-)   I doubt you'll ever lose your ear for the music.

• Thanks for starting the new Weekly Chat  Diane. Love the pic of the American Kestrel. 

A very Happy New Week to everyone! 

• Hello again Slight smile

Very quiet in here. I wonder if things will change when the proposed improvements to the site come about. I'm posting this from a laptop, which is quite a rare occourance these days. Don't panic! I won't get into the habit of mentioning what device I'm posting from for every post. So everyone can breathe easilly.Wink

• H Heron:  I suspect some people are waiting to see what's going to happen.  Then the folks who have just about got used to some of these new features will have to readjust.  :-)  Still, it keeps us on our toes right?