Site upgrade and reporting of problems

JonB posted on the main page about the upgrade and some info about it.

A set of "how to" instructions will be out later in the week. 

All problems about the upgrade should be posted on that thread.

Here's the link _

community.rspb.org.uk/.../community-upgrade-is-live

• Can I just say that the View More link (at least in Weekly Chat) is right at the bottom of the screen so you have to click on it to see the latest posts.  I would think it might make more sense to have it at the top so all the old posts are hidden....

Just sayin'   

• I am not exactly reporting a problem. But i am wondering why i do not see that "last post of 3 minutes ago" when i click on it. And after clicking i do get to the thread, but timewise it is all scrambled. Maybe this is related to not "arriving" at said last post of 3 minutes ago. What do i know. 

Letting go of the time-continuum is a whole different approach to the forums.

Will we be able to follow the time-line of the bird-stories, as connected to season and time as they are, in this way?

Or is the scrambled-focused on the content of the discussion-approach better suited for different communities, where the arguments and discussions come first and are not time-related?

...just some musings.

ps: oh, and i went awol last season due to IRL stuff, but sincerely hope to be back for the coming one! xxx *waves*

• Hi OM, good to see you about again. Hopefully the changes are going to help us all navigate around the site better!

• I really hope they get rid of this 'nesting' layout soon! I just can't find even the latest posts sometimes. I struggle with Facebook for the same reason. Wibble.

• OK, it came out at the top. Maybe that is an improvement... Now I've got to master posting photos reasonably quickly. (Don't hold your breath!)

• I’m not enjoying this new style Community Forum at all. I don’t come to read the posts as frequently as I used to and I’m not enjoying coming onto this forum. It’s completely spoilt my enjoyment with this forum and it’s a sad state of affairs when it comes to this. The RSPB haven’t learnt any lessons from the previous revamp and should have let things stay the same, instead of so called improvements for improvements sake. I’ve seen this happen before with so called improvements to other websites and it always seems to make things worse.

Regards,

Ian.

• Just tried it on my Samsung (android) and highlighting the text also brings up quote and then inserts it ready for comment. 

• I agree, Ian.  It's completely spoilt it for me, too.  Why do these supposed upgrades always make things worse?  :-(

• I still cannot get the 'Quote' system to work. If I try to highlight the text I cannot do so over all the text. Sometimes it will just affect the first few letters, other times only one. Quote appears instantly so it is obviously trying to do something. Selecting 'undo' from the edit box will not clear the text and the only way to do so is to backspace.

Where is the 'How to do things' post we were promised 20 days ago??

The thread about the upgrade is now closed of course.