Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 9 September 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Instead of an inserted picture, I'm offering A LINK this week. It's a photo that won an Audubon Society Photography Award, which shows an American Osprey and an Eastern Kingbird. I'm sure the Osprey was fine, but the photo displays the fierce nature of our Kingbirds. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week! Safe travels to all those on the roads. 

• Pat O,  I add my good wishes for a lovely holiday. I visited St. Petersburg a few years ago,  in February, when it was covered in snow. It was wonderful. So many interesting places to see. Have a great time, and a relaxing cruise.

• Well, no haircut! Got to the salon, she had given me a card saying Tuesday 11th September and in her book I was in for Thursday 13th September. The walk to town and back gave me some exercise, though!

LINDY - my friend has been so distressed over the rift with her daughter, coming as it did at such an awful time for the family just made things worse, as I said. Anyway - she and I have talked and talked about it over the past couple of years and I always hoped that things would eventually be mended. I hope that your friend G continues to get some pleasure from things xx

The garden project for next year involves getting rid of the horrible huge wide cypress hedge in the front garden, having the whole area slabbed with maybe cream York stone - apart from two borders which I will plant with low maintenance shrubs, like hydrangeas. I think that blues and pinks (if I can get the colours maintained - this is acid soil) will contrast well with cream. I will keep the roses around the front door and around the dining room window and make a feature of the 'urn' in the centre of what is now the lawn. That is the plan. Watch this space! The idea is that I will have more time to look after the back garden which is what I look at and enjoy. The front garden just needs to be easy on the eye and easy to look after.

• Thank you all for your good wishes.  It's going to be an experience!

Heather - your plans for your garden sound great, and low maintenance, which is always a good thing.  I am no gardener, and would always choose the easy option, as long as it looks good.

• You're right, Heather - - we've not had anything from Dibnlib in a while...  hope all is OK.

Pat - I see where the 'Columbus'  is going, and it looks like an exciting trip. I hope you'll treat us to some photos afterwards! We're packing now for our cruise, which leaves on the 23rd and is going around the Med: my OH likes to have a bit of sun on holiday and I wouldn't mind more culture, but I'm just glad he's happy to go! We are however going to snatch some culture when we reach Venice, which he's only seen from the decks of a previous cruise.

Went to see G and she looks drawn. She's finding it hard to discover any food which is tempting to her.  Her daughter did the best thing, and did some bulk cooking and freezing whilst she was there, so that they will have things to heat up when they're running out of ideas (her OH does cook but has a limited repertoire). 

I'm off to do the dreaded ironing now!

• Just read that back and can see that I forgot to say how very sensible your garden plans sound, Heather.   :-)

Hope it results in what you had imagined, at least it will be low maintenance which is the right way to go.

• Now that sounds as if I have doubts about it, which is not what I meant at all, LOL!!

• Lindy - I really must try to learn how to post photographs once I get back.  The only other cruise I have done was about thirty years ago in the Mediterranean.  Had a wonderful time, visited lots of fascinating places, but it was very formal.  

I have been to Venice several times - there is sooooo much to see!  If you have more than one day there, be sure to buy the tourist card which gives you travel on the water buses and entry into many of the churches and museums.  Saves a lot of money!

So sorry G is finding things so tough at the moment.  I'm sure she appreciates your visits.  It must be so difficult to keep life as 'normal' as possible.  The bulk cooking sounds a really good idea.

• Morning all:  Seems we're all coming and going..  Hope all those traveling have good weather and a safe and wonderful time.

Heather: Like the sound of the garden redo. Less work? Count me in.  What a ghastly state of affairs in your friend's family.  What accounted for daughter's bizarre behavior I wonder.

DIane:  Hacienda-type hotel is old and funky but with gorgeous gardens and shaded patio - the main attraction.  It's pretty reasonable, rate-wise, this time of year because, God knows, what fools are going to come stay in those temps!!   :-)     Actually it changed hands last August, so I'll be interested to see any changes...

Niece and I were contemplating riding the Palm Springs Tramway tomorrow morning but they thoughtlessly closed it down for annual maintenance yesterday. Really!  Not too sorry in that it would have delayed our ride home and I want to be through Los Angeles before rush hour (which is about 20 hours a day these days).   Looking forward to the milder temps at home - and walking in the front door!  

• ANNETTE- to quote my friend- 'I think it was lust not love'. All I will say here is that the boyfriend was very 'into' guns and had quite a violent side to his nature. Maybe attractive to someone who was married to a minister's son and craved more excitement? Who knows.

• Sad, Heather. Goodness knows what attracts women to these types. Only today I heard about a young couple (not related to my Friend) who are having problems as the man is so controlling. His poor wife has been struggling with a premature baby and has had enough to think about.

Annette - Sorry you missed out on the tram trip, but at least you'll miss the worst of the traffic, hopefully. Safe journey home.

Pat -  We've only been cruising for a couple of years but find it mostly very informal. The "dressing up" part is mainly optional, and everyone is very friendly. I'm sure you'll have a great time! We are in Venice for a day and a half, and have already booked a trip through the main canals, on a boat. I've been trying to be as normal as possible around G, as any weeping or wailing on my part will not be helpful at all.

Got our big cases out, so am getting excited now!!