WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY AUGUST 19 2018

Hallo all!  Have a happy week and don't forget to check last week's thread for any late-breaking developments!  :-))

• Hope that you are OK, DIBNLIB xxx

• I hope that when people don't post, it's jus t because they're going through a busy period, Dibnlib. I too, hope that all is alright with you & yours.

Have had poor news of my Friend G -- she is in hospital after going to have another hormone injection, but has been told that they have now decided in a meeting of all the clinicians involved that they think it would not be helpful for her to continue. They are going to try a mild form of chemotherapy now, and in preparation she is now in hospital having more fluid drained from her, plus the reinflation of her left lung which has partially collapsed, causing her to be breathless. Things do not look good, I'm afraid. We have offered to help her OH with any doggy problems he might have as he will be busy visiting G and the dog might have to be left home alone now & then.

• ps The man arrived and sorted out our aerial so we now have good tv reception. My OH is still cutting up big lumps of our apple tree so that he can take the bits to The Tip.

• LINDY- glad your TV is OK now. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend G. I think you will guess what I want to say but won't xx

• DIBNLIB - good to hear from you - hope you are okay!

LINDA - Sorry about G - I was hoping she would have longer to enjoy things she wants to do.  I hope they can get the lung working and the keep her comfortable.  Pleased about the TV aerials being sorted!

Had some spare time together, so have been doing filing and paperwork - yet again!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• LINDY    So very sorry to hear that news.

• Morning all:  Another batch of sugar water is brewing!  And hummingbirds are slurping furiously as I type.  I've never seen as many in the garden as I have this year.

AQ:  Was going to say it's so nice to know that we don't have a monopoly on fools, but I'm not sure if so many fools at such high levels is anything to be relieved about....  The Peter Principle writ large.   Was it always like this I wonder, or only that we're old and cynical that we now recognize it much sooner?  

Heather: Yes, well Teflon has its toxic aspects too.  How much grass do you have?  I can see the appeal of some kind of hardscape (a la Lindybird's comment)  vis-a-vis problematic grass....     I think houses are just as important as they used to be, but maybe with the emphasis on college educations and tech jobs, there's a lack of people who can actually fix stuff.  Funny, but that's what our Arizona contractor said when we were chatting: The old guys are retiring and the young ones either do sloppy work or don't want to work as hard.  Thank heaven, our young (busy with baby and both working) newish neighbors have finally given up and hired a company to redo their front garden, which was already out of control and getting to be a real eyesore.  

Lindybird:  Good to read your OH has finally given up fiddling with antenna on the roof.  So sorry to hear about G.  I wonder if they aren't just painfully prolonging the inevitable.....

OG: We had felt hats in the winter; same style as the Panamas.  Ha-ha re fate of your school hat!   Online shopping is fine, but if I want just two new sprinkler heads in a hurry, I'm not going to order them via Amazon.  And our soon-to-be-gone hardware store is within walking distance.  :-(    Good grief: I'd have a hard time with someone who wanted to be the only person to estimate a job!  Maybe you could hire Heather's SiL?   At this point, I'm willing to watch a YouTube video to learn how to do something myself.

dibnlib: Hope you're keeping okay.  Have you followed up on any more river cruises?

Off to join OG in some paperwork.

• Good evening all.   A lot of things happening on here.

Sorry about your friend Lindy. Things do not sound good.

Fiddler on the roof? Glad all is sorted.

Re getting people to do jobs. When we moved into a new housing development eighteen years ago, many of the  young tradesmen were only too keen to do private work as their contracts with the developers were coming to an end.

Now that they have become well known and busy, they are much more difficult to get hold of.

dibnlib, I have popped in like you did. Also hope you are okay.

I saw the Lion film, and read the book (which always clarifies things). I thought it was quite remarkable. The small boys survival abilities, and his  exceptional adoptive parents. Also how he found his birth family.

Annette, how would the humming birds survive if you did not provide the banquet?

Hello to OG, I see you are immersed in paperwork.

Heather, I like Lindy's idea for the replacement of the grass. Pebbles would look good, with flowers in containers. Maybe the area is too big, though.

Regards to all.

• Hello all, not been in all week so though I'd better pop in and see what's what.

See that a lot of you have been busy with one thing or another.

Myself - have a lovely weekend ahead starting with tomorrow celebrating OH's birthday and our GW with a meal out in the evening, Sat sees an Afternoon Tea treat locally, and Sunday a small family meal celebrating our GW.

Annette - see you have humming birds, such lovely colourful birds.

~Cut the grass this week for the first time in about 6 weeks, mostly the weeds growing up but grass is coming back slowly. Bushes have grown though.

Hope you all have a good weekend, will try to look in again soon.

• Rosy:  Haha times two for Fiddler on the Roof!  :-))    Will have to take a look at the book on which the movie Lion was based.   Hummingbirds have lots and lots of two-legged friends, so they'd be fine.  I think I've got more than in previous years because I also planted a lot of salvia, which they adore.  Still, having the plants doesn't seeem to diminish their appetite for the sugar water.

Lynette:  Have a super weekend and congratulations on your GW!!  Always good to see you.