WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY AUGUST 19 2018

Hallo all!  Have a happy week and don't forget to check last week's thread for any late-breaking developments!  :-))

• Good Morning.  Sunny through my window: I've slept late as I was tired yesterday by events. 

LOL re the 'Fiddler on the Roof!'  --  actually, I had said to the Aerial Man that he might have noticed another Man on a Ladder, only next door, as the lady moving in there is having all the old gutters and cladding replaced. (Yes, OG , I meant the house which is empty at present - they have been renovated on both sides of us, but this is not the one with the extension, that one is being occupied by the young couple with the baby) Also, only four houses away, another couple are having a big extension being built and because of this, are having the entire property re-roofed at the same time. They are very vocal, and I can hear them singing from here!! EDIT:  the roofers that is, not the couple!!!

Lynette - Many Congratulations on your Golden Wedding! - a great achievement. Enjoy your special weekend.

Annette -- Love the sound of all those beautiful hummingbirds. Well worth the effort of the sugar water :-)

• Hi, all.  A showery day is forecast, but   a lot of sunshine between whiles – not exactly useful, but definitely less dreary!  Ginger Tom came calling this morning and sadly left with a black feathery tail hanging out of his mouth.  He is a lovely cat, but I wish he wasn’t so naughty.

ANNETTE – we were lucky with the man who wanted to be only one to quote – we kew a sensible price as we had had people call ad hoc (who we would not consider for the job) and offer a price, so without telling lies we had comparisons!

Hello, ROSY, always good to see you – must be quiet there now, with visitors and workmen all gone!

LYNETTE – have a wonderful weekend, and Congratulations to you both.  When is the cruise?

LINDA – glad you got some extra sleep – you must be quite exhausted emotionally with G’s condition; thinking of you both.  A lot of busy people in your street right now, hope you aren’t getting too much disturbance – don’t know which is worse, workmen with radios or those who try to sing!

Got to go and cut up some Chives to freeze - OH brought them in from the greenhouse this morning. 

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG - the very worst are the ones with radios who sing along!

Lindy - so sorry about your friend G.  It's hard supporting friends who are going through difficult times - so be kind to yourself as well.  An extra hour's sleep is always a bonus.

Lynette - hope you have some lovely celebrations - a Golden Wedding Anniversary is a very good thing to celebrate.

Hope everyone has a peaceful Friday … in spite of all the workmen!

• Some heavy rain showers here, today. I got rather wet as I walked to town this morning.

LINDY - Your pebble and slate idea sounds good. The  area to be covered is really quite small so I will bear that in mind. Unfortunately there is a very wide cypress hedge which I would want rid of. Behind that is an unharled brick wall which will need attention, it is constructed of what they call cinder bricks. If the hedge is taken out, the wall will probably fall down! I will have to consult someone who knows about these things. One day.

LYNETTE - many congratulations on your Golden Wedding! Enjoy what sounds to be a weekend full of nice things!

ANNETTE - I seem to remember from our visits to California that hummingbirds like the colour red?

OG - I've never thought of freezing chives and could do so, since they grow in the herb bed, here. Do you just snip and then bung them in a bag? I could supply most of Inverness with rosemary sprigs. I must trim the bush.

ROSY and PAT - good to see you!

• I should have said that the workmen were joining in with their radio, LOL!!

Sunny here, now - we had more rain in the night and a showery morning this morning.  I've been doing paperwork, and informing old friends in other parts of the country, about my Friend G.  Not contacted her OH yet today, as want to give him chance to get to the hospital and find out the latest news.

My resourceful OH has been all the way to Warrington, some miles from here, to buy some new door handles for our conservatory.  Of course, as soon as he got home, he set to and put them on!

• HEATHER - to freeze my Chives I snip them into the length I would use to add to things - so just a few mm.  No need to blanch, nor to thaw in advance of sprinkling into things, and they stay "free-flow" in little freezer boxes.  I have been wondering about freezing some Rosemary this year for winter use - never tried it before.

LINDA - having the radio on while singing could be an advantage if it keeps them in tune!

• Morning all:

OG:  Aha!  I would've done the same thing re quote for work to be done.

Lindybird: Commiserations on the - ahem - entertainment.  

PatO: I vote worst the workmen who wear earbuds with their devices and sing along so you can hear only them.  Our Arizona plumber would intermittently let out what sounded like painful and extended wails at some points and stop us all in our tracks!

AQ: Heard more about the shenanigans in OZ this morning.  All a bit odd as apparently the PM's replacement's policies aren't too different from his  If OZ isn't careful, it will be like Italy in the 1950s or thereabouts, which changed governments every other week! (I'm exaggerating, but it was something I kept hearing about while growing up).

Heather: Now I know what unharled means (thank you Google). And yes, red is very popular among hummingbirds, along with purple and a sort of mauvey-blue (I have salvia in all three colors).

Off to sort out the world.

• Annette - Hope you succeed.  The world certainly needs sorting out!

• If only!