OFF-SEASON OBS, LOCH GARTEN NEST, 07 August 2018 ~ March 2019

EDIT

Late in the day I changed the title of this thread from "DU" to "Off-Season Obs" ~ anyone is welcome to suggest a better title than the current one :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No osprey presence yesterday, but in the evening a visit from an osprey nemesis ;)

TIGER has reminded us that we mustn't jump the gun when our ospreys don't appear on-cam, or even at the Centre, for a day or two, so we wait...

• Hi Korky, like you I seem to log on when there is little activity and equally have not seen a Crestie for a while.
    Looking in as I type there is only a red squirrel tucking in.
  • Mmmm. Seem to have lost the facility to highlight other peoples' posts....
    Anyway, thanks Mike. Maybe the squirrel has eaten all the birds?
  • Mmmm. Seem to have lost the facility to highlight other peoples' posts....

Korky, I did this by copy and paste.

If you are thinking of RF it is not working correctly at the moment.
  • Bother. I typed my piece, ready to post and thought I'd try RF - and of course I lost my post! So...
    I love your Blue Jay vid, Scylla. The blue is really very vivid.  Here is 'our' UK Jay, with a small, but bright blue patch, captured by guess who! 

Talking of 'blue' I wonder what the blue patch is beyongd the birch and the pine with the rope attached, and appearing between the two. Surely it's not litter? Someone would have picked it up, wouldn't they?

I haven't seen a Red Squirrel for quite a number of days. Just unlucky I guess, but at the moment the Gt Tits are the most dominant, seeing off Blue tit and Chaffinch.

I was wondering why we weren't seeing so many birds at the moment. Perhaps the warmer and longer days means there is more food elsewhere, so they aren't as dependent on the peanuts, and of course they could well be busy checking out mates and nest building. Insects are taking to the air - I saw a bumble bee, and lots of what I think were honey bees on a winter flowering shrub (small white flowers), possibly a type of lonicera (Japanese honeysuckle), and a tortoiseshell butterfly!

• Mike B said:
    Mmmm. Seem to have lost the facility to highlight other peoples' posts....

Korky, I did this by copy and paste.

If you are thinking of RF it is not working correctly at the moment.

==================================

Instead of the quote showing in a discrete darkened panel it now looks like this (I put the black border around the screenshot so's to demarcate :-/ it ;)

(Excluse my language, I'm finding it even more difficult than usual finding normal words today Disappointed )

EDIT - but after posting the quote IS showing up in a darkened panel, and when I come back in to edit the quote is also showing up in a darkened panel:

I'm wondering what was done during yesterday's down time?

.========================================

I forgot to set the feeder going last night/whenever, but have just done so and should catch the late-comers.

Have been seeing squirrel, blue tit, great tit, coal tit, GSW, siskin, chaffinch... but not many birds for longer periods than usual.

Great to see you, KORKY, sorry you've had back luck with the feeder birdies :-*

============================

EDIT @ 20:27hr

I didn't get much during the late feeder hours before dark - here are the 3 tits:

• People arrived before the birds today :o

There were about 9 hours between the first and last bird - during which time there were visits from all 3 "main" tits, lots of chaffinch sightings, GSW, squirrel - didn't notice any siskins... hang on, need to double-check that...

One appearance of male and female, couldn't get both their faces to liaise >:(

• Thanks, All, especially Scylla, for your dedication to showing us the visitors to the LG peanut feeder.
  • I only got the late part of the day - just Great & Coal Tits and Chaffinch, and then my memory fails me :(
  • As I lurk, I just want to take time to thank the IT crew who are trying to meet the needs of the posters here, in wake of the shock of the new interface rollout. Too often there seems to be tech carelessness on the part of user satisfaction, but once I saw their willingness to communicate and reply, I remembered my own student days of trying to customize and debug, and how slow it is. You can only go one step at a time, and then retest to make sure you aren't going to irreparably damage the whole shebang.

I'm also just as thankful to all the posters here who have persevered to stay here, for you are my partners in osprey-watching crime, if it can be called criminal to spend so much time doing it!

• Here here, CC. It won't be long before we are all back following EJ and our other favourite nests.