DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Monday, 06 August 2018

Just when we were mourning the loss of our matriarch to the southern climes already, a young male shows up on the perch. Maybe he was GJ, he certainly looks familiar. Lorna B caught him on the cam and Sheila then captured! Otherwise we would have seen no one---he didn't stay there long. No EJ though...
(Limpy's capture color-edited by me)

• Unknown said:

Mmm, great photos but not from today I assume?

I said in the post the photos were from the 26th of March.   So you assumed right! :-) 

• Lovely Mary

So it maybe that EJ has departed, I suppose we'll get confirmation soon.

Thanks all for updates.

• I am not sure who is manning the camera today, but thank you for checking regularly.  I haven't been watching all the time, and am hoping that if anyone was seen the VC would have popped in to let us know.  Smiles!

• Our night view, the long view from camtree

• There was excitement one morning last week when Julie Q (Retail Manager to the stars) witnessed one of our youngsters, probably Rowan given his slight age advantage, practicing his fishing dive in Loch Garten! The chances are this was instinctive behaviour and a chance to hone the necessary skills rather than a genuine fishing attempt. The water in the loch is incredibly dark due to the peat from the surrounding bog so our birds struggle to pick out fish from the air and therefore never hunt there. It’s great to see the young going through this process, though, as the better they become at catching their own food, the more chance they’ll have of surviving the long migration south and the next couple of years in Africa (or possibly Southern Europe). Rowan and Willow have also started taking fish of the nest to eat on a nearby perch – another necessary skill to learn. This does, however, normally result in at least one or two fish being dropped to the ground, followed by desperate calls for another! Imagine going out to buy fish and chips, getting all the way home, giving it to your child and watching them throw it all over the floor before sitting on the sofa and shouting at you to go and get some more. Kids, eh?

Read more at   28 July 2016

• I was just looking for the nightcam moment and look who I found !!! ;-D

I brightened it with my own software but couldn't sharpen it... more practice needed.

NIGHTCAM 21:45hr:

And, @ 22:14hr precisely ~ who did that?!

• Hazel b said:

There was excitement one morning last week when Julie Q (Retail Manager to the stars) witnessed one of our youngsters, probably Rowan given his slight age advantage, practicing his fishing dive in Loch Garten! The chances are this was instinctive behaviour and a chance to hone the necessary skills rather than a genuine fishing attempt.

... ... ...

Read more at   28 July 2016

Thank you for clarifying that, TIGER :)

There was another post somewhere saying that a juvie had brought a fish to the nest and therefore there was speculation that it had caught it itself (according to my very vague memory).

• Funnily enough, the other day, I came across a story about Nimrod, who's mentioned in the July 2016 blog and worked at LG for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

• Scylla

I think that Loch Garten will need to get serious about those pine martens. They look as  if they are getting bigger.