DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Wednesday, 30 May 2018

Trying said it best: "Lets show them today, how unpredictable we can be..." Just as we thought the season winding down, the unpredictability of ospreys jumped into play. So GJ delivered two fish (or reasonable parts of fish, #one and #two) to EJ, and proceeded to sit on the eggs.  (Moffer's pic of fish #2 delivery) (I just can't post another goofy pic of him sitting! Here's scylla's vid.) Is this season a training session for the next season? Yikes. RSPB FB Abernethy posted a note on GJ's delivery and incubation, compliments of 25mac. I believe we are all flabbergasted, which just goes to show that our human "rational" logic has nothing to do with the way nature operates. :-P

Other than these puzzling events at the Loch Garten nest, we had an unidentified flying object, an appreciation of EJ's dulcet tones when fish calling, and these words were written more than once near the day's end: "Curiouser and curiouser..."

========================

The Daily Update is for recording - with comments, snaps and videos - today's events on the nest.  Banter is permitted ;)  General osprey questions and discussions should be posted in the Osprey Chat thread.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• EJ back with pipes, moves a stick...

IMAGICAT

• Trying said:

EJ, when leaving campost, flew down low to left of nest, came into view at 12 o'clock of nest, and exited the cam scene at 2 o'clock

I couldn't see her, Trying.  Overdue for new specs but they never seem to do the trick so I'm not bothering.  All that dosh that I could spend on laptops ;-D

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I couldn't see her, Trying.  Overdue for new specs but they never seem to do the trick so I'm not bothering.  All that dosh that I could spend on laptops ;-D

Just buy bigger monitors Scylla :-D

• Good Morning SCYLLA and TRYING and dear EJ

• Good Morning Scylla and Trying and all who follow

Thanks CC for starting us off with a fab round up of yesterday.  

Thanks too goes to Scylla and Trying for all the overnight posts.

EJ is incubating at the moment.   I didn't hear her fly in, one moment the eggs were all alone, next time I looked she was there.  

I have a lot of catching up to do since yesterday as didn't have much time to keep up with things on the nest, but Scylla seeing as you mentioned Opticians, I spent 2 hours for eye test yesterday, felt quite traumatised by the time I got out, and megabucks lighter!!!!     Had to do a 2 hour lunch to cheer myself up.   

OK this has nothing to do with the Ospreys, shoot me down if you want LOL  

Edit: Good Morning Patily, you sneaked in while I was typing :-) 

• I couldn't look in yesterday after the early morning  More strange goings on I see with GJ and even EJ accepting fish now that she didn't before All very baffling

Good Morning MARY

• Good morning, MARY :-*

MaryGK said:
    I spent 2 hours for eye test yesterday, felt quite traumatised by the time I got out, and megabucks lighter!!!!     Had to do a 2 hour lunch to cheer myself up. 

I was in a bad patch until I read that ;-D  Thank you!

I see that I never posted EJ's landing, yet I thought I had :-/  Maybe it's in another thread somewhere :(

She brought in the stick (which competed with GJ's for silliness), and as Mary has reported, is incubating.

IMAGICAT

• Trying said:
    Just buy bigger monitors Scylla

The size of my lap limits choice, Trying ;)

IMAGICAT

• Just been going through your catch up post from last night Scylla

Flabbergasted to say the least.   What is G playing at!!!!!!!   

Every year we see EJ now is so precious, I would hate for her to come back next year and not have chicks, and I honestly do not have any faith in this male now, her first year with Odin was not without trauma but she raised chicks with him and we all know what a successful 9 year partnership that was, I am sorry to say this but I would rather she took her chances on attracting another Odin type next year than pin her hopes on this one. 

Sorry to say that but its just my opinion :-) 

• I have been saying to my friends and family MARY I so hope GJ does not become the resident male here