DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Tuesday, 22 May 2018

Yesterday we had MaryGK on the ground in the VC, and she gave this report. GJ seems to have claimed the nest and EJ as his, though no fish has been forthcoming and EJ seems not to trust him incubating as a result. He comes to mate, and today appeared late to the defense (with full crop) of the nest from an unringed intruder. EJ is still begging for fish, but finally at the end of the wet day, she left the eggs for over three hours and returned cleaning her beak. We all hope and trust she had herself a meal. Meanwhile, Tiger reminded us that, if all were well, the first hatching would be coming this week.

She appears to be faceplanted into the nest, and it looks like the rain has stopped. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• I have just returned home from time with family in Lexington, Kentucky where I watched the herding dog trials. Therefore, I may not have all the facts correct, and welcome any suggestions or edits. Missed you guys. xx

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Great DU intro @ CC

That pretty well sums up the day for me, as I saw it. :-)

EJ well 'hunkered down' against the elements. ie raining, and somewhat wet.

Edit: 02-58 - EJ up for a poop, and and a resettle in a slight change of position

• Pretty gloomy Day-break today :-(

The unfolding story of Day-break.

UV lights go out

Day-cam clicks in at 04-10

And after a few seconds warm up and self adjusting

Good Morning All.

• 04-17 We have EJ to thank for whatever is on the cam lens ( I think it maybe a downy feather, rather than poop)

Up and away for a quick fly-around, seemed like a poop on-route, and and straight back to incubate

• Good Morning Trying and to all who follow

Thank You CC for starting the thread and for your excellent summary 

Thank You Trying for your posts and pics so far today.

I guess SCYLLA is not around.

It is so hard to see EJ sitting soaked like she is this morning incubating her eggs, and pretty incredulous that they are still there, after what happened at Aberfoyle and Loch Arkaig, when their eggs were taken in an instant, hers are left for hours on end yet they survived.    Who would believe that would happen especially when there is a resident pine martin.

• Thank you, CC, for stepping into the breach right on top of your return home - a super start, as usual :-*

MaryGK said:
    I guess SCYLLA is not around.

It's been one o' them nights, MARY :(  But much better now :)

MaryGK said:
    hers are left for hours on end yet they survived.    Who would believe that would happen especially when there is a resident pine martin.

Exactly!  It could have taken so much pressure off her (and us).

Thank you for the lovely snap of dear, drenched EJ :-*

Thank you for peerless coverage overnight, TRYING!

I had a quick look thru the night, here's EJ up for a healthy-looking poop, no flap!  But she clunked the eggs, I hope you can hear them:

Just in case anyone wants to save it ;)

Confirming DAYCAM 04:09hr:

And this is the early-morning flyabout - straight around and back, see Trying's snaps:

The new Carnyx timeline doesn't show up well at all on screen-capture, it's OK on VLC.  I can't ever watch or record full screen, probably that would be better.

EJ just started calling.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    EJ just started calling.

That didn't last long.

Coffee #1 time :)

IMAGICAT

• Good Morning MARY and SCYLLA Poor EJ looks very wet

• Morning Scylla

The scene is much the same EJ still incubating, hope it stops soon and she can get dried out.    She is a slave to her instincts I guess  :-(

I will have to go as there is going to be a planned electricity outage this morning, so I had better get the use of my hairdryer while I can.

Will catch up later, 

Edit. Morning Patily.
  • If there are any eggs this week as Tiger says I don't know that I would be able to watch unless a miracle happens and George starts behaving as he should when he sees "his" kids