DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Thursday, 17 May 2018

The moment we had all been waiting and hoping for. EJ seen at Rothiemurchus fishing and they posted a little FB video of her drying off (edit: video was from Tuesday)! Here she is with her fish on the branch below the nest perch back at LG, as reported on FB and Moffer © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Sheila remarked she may not be around much for viewing now that she has sussed out the situation for herself. But it is merciful to us viewers, I think. That is all I think is fit to report! At the moment she has just turned the eggs before tucking her head back in to resume sleeping. RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• A silly tribute before I go.

What a shame that she blurs when she flies - so here she was, about to spread her wings ;)

GJ must have eaten his fish long ago - will he have any inclination to fish again, or even offer it to EJ if he does?

The scene is very quiet indeed.  I really don't think the sound is as it should be.

Fond wishes to all, I can't imagine what's in store... if anything!  SYAL :)

IMAGICAT

• ...and back to settle on the eggs. Oh dear!

• EJ back on her eggs. I am sure she will have the instinct to know wheather the eggs will hatch or not. I just wonder what will happen if they do hatch as new boy won't be much good I don't think.

• margaret T said:

EJ back on her eggs. I am sure she will have the instinct to know wheather the eggs will hatch or not. I just wonder what will happen if they do hatch as new boy won't be much good I don't think.

Without a regular and substantial supply of fish by the male any chicks are doomed. EJ will not/cannot  leave them and they will die as they did last year. That is why it is best if the eggs are left now. No one wants a repeat of that event.

• Pandy said:
    Is he torn between instincts, just as EJ has been? For instance, could he be drawn to both reject and accept the clutch because not all the eggs are his? Sometimes I wonder if George is looking at us and saying (to quote Doctor Who), “Excuse me! I am making sense, you just aren't keeping up!”

That's exactly what I think.  A few weeks ago he was demonstrating lots of the right behaviour - defending the nest, incubating, bringing fish.  Perhaps the negative part of that steep learning curve has been a realisation that two of the eggs cannot be his.  Assuming they both return next year I wonder how things will pan out if he arrives within a week of her?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• scylla said:
    "Errors & Omissions Excepted" !!! I took out some little birdies but maybe not enough? Upped sound as much as poss, brightened EJ's return with fish - I queried "flapping" because she spent some time flapping, as if she was fighting to control it. (Please visit the site to view this video) EJ flapping in fish tree ;)

I have to say this even though others have allready thanked you: thank you for the brilliant day-summary video of yesterdays Scylla! *mwa* and the golden light fly out and back in video was well done too. Both on the last two pages of yesterday's DU. Thanks again dear.

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• [deleted, it happens]

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• when i looked back in (9:50h), she was up and preening for a while

good scratch of the head

and back onto the eggs only 2 mins after i looked in.