DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Wednesday, 16 May 2018

RSPB Loch Garten Twitter reported seeing EJ at Rothiemurchus yesterday, compliments of Moffer's sharp reporting. That would account for the EJ's absence from the nest today, once for about an hour and a half, and the next for an hour. In BNN's capture, she is saying (compliments of Moffer's Osprish),
"I'm White EJ don't you know. Don't mess with me!"

And a detail I find interesting is that on returning to the nest after a prolonged absence, she has been reported be calling like Bynack did, on her way back to the nest, different than her silent returns (scylla's vid). For those new to the Loch Garten nest, Bynack was the youngest of two chicks on the 2011 nest, noted (affectionately) for his infamously persistent and loud calling screeching. (scylla's clip from 2011 of Bynack arriving on the nest, impatient for fish delivery)

Personally, I think her absence was long enough for her to catch and consume a fish from Rothiemurchus---what say all you avid DUers??? While we have been angst-ing over her, she finally made her decision. We will have to see what happens tomorrow (as if we haven't been glued up til now!) She looks exactly as she did last night, so I am dispensing with the record for tonight.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• It didn’t seem to take her long to catch a fish so no problem with availability just an inexperienced male.  

• Five hours away from the eggs now.

• Oh Mike and Moffer, I could HUG you both for bringing the news of EJ and her fish!!  And of course EJ herself.  Well done in your observations Moffer and for tracking down when she returned with her fish.  What a morning!  I haven't  seen her at all today.  Serve me right for being a late joiner!  But I have seen the Willow Warbler (thanks for the ID Moffer) taking more feathers!  A very busy parent to be!

I wonder what we will witness next.  Will EJ incubate, remove the eggs, defend the eggs?  Will GJ start being attentive or do we just leave him as 'Hapless' (love it!!)?  More chapters for the osprey book perhaps.  So the roller coaster season continues.

Perhaps more surprising is that the eggs have not been predated.  Where are the crows when you want them, or a day time pillage by the PM?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Oh WOW !  Wonderful, wonderful news of Ej's fish Over the moon but also have a pleasant lump in my throat I came to see how she was getting on and so pleased to read SHEILA's post and will now read back properly

• Six hours exposed. As Sheila said, 'where is a Crow or a PM when you want one?'

I'm off out for a while. BBL

• Like everybody else, it would be better if the eggs don't hatch It was unbearably sad to watch last year to see the chicks die one by one. Even so it is so sad that current circumstances had to happen. I wonder if EJ would find herself another mate, or is she stuck with, sorry to say, useless guy?

Thank you so much for your diligence MOFFER and MIKE

• Thanks for all the snips and comments, I for one will be watching to see what she does now until she disappears to Africa once more...

• I suspect we won't see much of her now.  She will be on one of the nearby perches, in close flight of the nest should an intruder appear, or even GJ.  With no roaming cam to find her for us we just won't know where she is.  Sadly I doubt the VC will keep posting pics on an hourly basis.

I asked Aviemore Osprey whether EJ fished there this morning.  They have just responded:  "No sure as we left at 8am for breakfast.but will know better in the morning."

I thanked them and added:  "OK thanks.  There will be some smiley faces on the RSPB Forum (LG Daily Updates) if there is any news!"

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Good morning all. I, for one, am mightily relieved. I agree Sheila that we will see EJ less and less now that she seems to have decided to fish for herself. Would be great to have news from Aviemore if she happens to show up there, too.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs