Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 May 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

PLEASE CHECK BACK TO LAST WEEK'S THREAD HERE TO SEE AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM MOFFER. Feel better, Moffer!

Sleeping Barred Owl

U.S. National Park Service (G. Gardner)
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Heather: Good that Callum got his own car back and yes, odd they kept it that long but since they're covering impound costs I guess all is well.

I've been doing a bunch of work on my freelance gig, which always gets busier in the summer; am also getting various things sorted for next week's trip to Arizona ree upcoming bathroom remodel. Have got most things organized (ha! let's see about that!) but now fountain in the garden is refusing to play nicely and kitchen faucet has decided to join in!  Grrrr.

Really will catch up etc soon!

• Heather, you posted at the same time as me, and as I read yours, I heard the kitchen timer buzzing to say that dinner was done, so could not reply. Glad Callum finally got his car back - that was a little strange - maybe an administrative error?

Glad the pigeon seemed ok in the end. I was expecting you to say that there was a body, or worse, just more feathers!

Annette - Sorry your watery friends are on strike - hope the shower doesn't come out too, in sympathy!  Don't worry about catching up when you're so busy :-)

We've had various messages bouncing around about the upcoming Royal Wedding Street Party. I was glad to see that someone has pointed out that there wasn't much point in trying to begin it at 12.00 noon if the Wedding was going to be on tv until at least 1.30pm!  Most people would be glued to the coverage..... 

• Fortunately I shall be away for the wedding on a bus trip. For the last few weeks we have had wall-to-wall replays of everything & anything royal. Even Queen Alexandra got a look in! I’m sure it will be replayed next week & again. I’m off with Travel-Friend for a weekend trip, heritage train from Quorn to Port Augusta, overnight there, Sunday visiting ghost towns of Willochra Plain – Carrieton, Hammond,  Wilmington, etc. If only I could shake off the last of this cold which doesn’t seem to know whether to settle in lungs or sinus. Maybe neither?

• Trip bits – One day we left Albury for the High Country. Think “The Man from Snowy River”. We drove along and around the large Lake Hume which dams the Murray River. The dam was built 1919-1936 to regulate the water from the Snowy Mountains hydro-electric scheme. The reservoir wall consists of 4 walls & is 1.6 km wide. The Lake behind the wall is 25 km long, currently it holds 1/3 capacity; by November it should be at least 2/3. Morning tea & museum in Corryong, lunch in Tumbarumba, pottery museum in Holbrook. Not only trees submerged; the town of Tallangatta was relocated.

An old railway bridge. Some green on the flats!

Another old railway bridge.

• AQ: What!! Not tuning in to The Wedding!? Saw a photo on the Telegraph web site of the bride's extended family arriving at Heathrow "even though they weren't invited." Now we have the will-he/won't-he business with her Dad. Nothing like difficult relatives to complicate one's wedding.  So the wedding is - when? - at noon UK time? That's 4 am our time! It will be wall-to-wall coverage here. Sigh. I know that if my UK family is watching, they will be shouting at the TV and BiL will be wondering how much it's all costing the taxpayers.  Oh well.  You are inspiring me to organize my trip photos!  Maybe tomorrow?

• Good Morning.  Dull but dry here. Another bit of sun forecast, but I'll be too busy to notice anyway, with various things happening here.

I do know that HM The Queen arrives at the Abbey at 11.20am, ready to be the last to arrive before the Bride just before 11.30, and the service will take less than an hour - after that, there is the procession around the district before they go off to the reception. Some here are already fed up with the wall to wall coverage of the event, before it even happens - far too much in the newspapers, it's ridiculous. Every wedding in the Royal circle has been raked over.

Nice to see your pics, AQ, and to hear that you're off on another jaunt soon.

• Hello ALL

You do sound busy, LINDY!! I should be, loads to do in the garden and I've now seen dandelions in the grass. I haven't done feed and weed since OH died, but going to garden centre with eldest daughter this afternoon. Will buy the necessary...

AQ- I would love to go on one of your trips!

I will be watching the Wedding but maybe not on live TV.

• Been to nearby town - took two bags of stuff to charity shop. Went to health food store for some bran (good for me!). OH scoured charity shops for cheap books whilst I was busy. Went into M&S armed with a discount coupon, but after spending ages looking at bras, and then queuing to pay, the girl said "Your coupon isn't valid until tomorrow!" -- bah!

Then went to Sainsbugs, ages in there grabbing boring stuff. We bought petrol there as it's cheaper. Then went to B&Q to buy some kitchen light bulbs. Nothing to fit our under the cupboard fittings.....  Went to another local DIY shop and they don't have them, either. Boo! OH is going to search for some later. Now I'm off to the dentist, after pressing some decent trousers to go in....

• Heather, hope you enjoy your garden centre trip and maybe find yourself something nice there besides what you're going for!

• Lindy,  I am very concerned that you don't have any clothes left! You always seem to be off to the charity shop with bags of stuff. Or do you then go and replace things? You did not mention that, though. I am worried!

Do you ever part with shoes?