DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Wednesday 9th of May 2018

Well what can I say? Yesterday was a rather grim day as EJ received the square root of zilch in the way of fish. George only made two very brief appearances on the nest, and sadly seems to be seriously neglecting his duties. So what hope is there for the new day? The best scenario is that George suddenly finds good form again and we can all breath a collective sigh of relief. Of course we have to think about EJ reaching a stage where she is driven to fish for herself and thus leaving the eggs exposed to possible predation. In the current circumstances I would be happy to see EJ fend for herself. 

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• savs13 said:
    And not for the benefit of voyeurs who pry into the private lives of wild animals.

What a pointlessly unkind comment.  I take it you've purely arrived to twist the knife?  I don't recall seeing you last season when she hatched three eggs.

For what it's worth I do think about EJ when she's out of the UK - it's just that I can't practice my voyeurism without a live webcam.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• savs13 said:

I posted a personal view about how tracking devices on ospreys may have led to locals to killing them  in Africa years ago on this site.  The locals may have seen the ‘tech’ gadgets and thought that  money could be made from retrieving them from killing ‘tagged’ birds.  ‘Electronically Tagged’ birds will always be targets in  the poor countries.  LG stopped putting tracking devices on birds soon after.

You all love EJ when  she is in  Scotland for her breeding season via live Webcam and blogs!.   How many of you actually think about her when she has disappeared from these shores for her winter.

EJ should now just look after herself and  enjoy retirement.  She has been remarkable – and  perhaps a very rare female of her ilk.  

Perhaps George realised that EJ’s eggs are not up to scratch  when he sat on them and analysed them – perhaps he realised that not all of them were fathered by him. (smell perhaps) .  Also – EJ is an old bird now with  old ovary eggs.  Male lions practice infanticide.

His absence may be sad  for  those humans who have built an online rapport with EJ.

But this same absence may be what he needs to do for the benefit of his species.

And not for the benefit of voyeurs who pry into the private lives of wild animals.

Mark

What a load of puerile nonsense.

Some people are just twisted. 

• savs13 said:

I posted a personal view about how tracking devices on ospreys may have led to locals to killing them  in Africa years ago on this site.  The locals may have seen the ‘tech’ gadgets and thought that  money could be made from retrieving them from killing ‘tagged’ birds.  ‘Electronically Tagged’ birds will always be targets in  the poor countries.  LG stopped putting tracking devices on birds soon after.

You all love EJ when  she is in  Scotland for her breeding season via live Webcam and blogs!.   How many of you actually think about her when she has disappeared from these shores for her winter.

EJ should now just look after herself and  enjoy retirement.  She has been remarkable – and  perhaps a very rare female of her ilk.  

Perhaps George realised that EJ’s eggs are not up to scratch  when he sat on them and analysed them – perhaps he realised that not all of them were fathered by him. (smell perhaps) .  Also – EJ is an old bird now with  old ovary eggs.  Male lions practice infanticide.

His absence may be sad  for  those humans who have built an online rapport with EJ.

But this same absence may be what he needs to do for the benefit of his species.

Mark

Hi Mark
    Thanks for your interesting post, but I have to say that it has left me a little confused.
    I am not sure of the relevance of your first paragraph. Whilst I do not dispute that there may be an argument for suggesting that some locals may target tagged birds in poor countries, are you suggesting that LG stopped putting satellite transmitters on the chicks because of your post?
    You then suggest that we all love EJ when she is in Scotland. I can only answer personally. I do not love her, but I greatly admire her and am appreciative that by studying her behaviour she has enhanced our knowledge of these amazing birds, So far as your question about thinking about her wintering grounds are concerned, again I can only speak personally and can honestly say that I think about her specifically and other ospreys in general fairly frequently.
    I am not sure what you mean by 'retirement'. Are you suggesting she is not capable of breeding in future years? What evidence do you have for this?
    I agree that it might be possible that George realised that not all of them were his, but there is ample evidence at Loch Garten alone of what some male Ospreys do if they perceive this - I know of no evidence of an Osprey 'abandoning' a female by failing to provide her with fish if he decides that they are not his eggs - please let me know if you have such evidence, I would be very interested. Similarly, although there is scientific evidence that some species of birds e.g. vultures, kiwis and parrots have a sense of smell I have read nothing about any research that Ospreys are able to smell....... I would be interested to read about any such data.
    I am also a little confused about your use of the word 'pry' which my dictionary defines as to 'enquire too inquisitively into a person's private affairs'. Can science and observation really be classed as prying?

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• just read2 very interesting blogs. 1 by cringer and 1 by sav13. good to have different points of views keep them coming guys anfortunately the world is not al tellie tubbies

• I heard about a third theory elsewhere, and that was about the eggs and the male being certain they were not his, or uncertain about them being his. The idea would be his hormones telling him not to invest in these eggs? I think something along these lines was mentioned here too, allthough not with certainty. The interesting thing:  An appearing to be similar case seems to be happening at Balbucam in France. Which i am not following, so i would need to read up on that to get a better picture about the similarities.

#NotEvidenceYet #VerySmallSampleSize #IfAtAllTheCase 

I stick with the poem on page 1, we just do not know. But we certainly seem to be rather curious entities...

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• Unknown said:

just read2 very interesting blogs. 1 by cringer and 1 by sav13. good to have different points of views keep them coming guys anfortunately the world is not al tellie tubbies

Hi mac.

Why does  trouble always start when you are around? 

• savs13 said:

I’m sorry I haven’t posted for a while.  

I did try and be dispassionate and answer your former post logically. As you have failed to answer my questions and now resort to personal comments I have to endorse Tiger's use of the word 'puerile' and add that I, for one, am not sorry that you have not posted for a while. I will leave it to the Moderator to decide if your posts are worthy of being left to posterity and will refrain from commenting on any further of your 'observations'.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.