DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Wednesday 9th of May 2018

Well what can I say? Yesterday was a rather grim day as EJ received the square root of zilch in the way of fish. George only made two very brief appearances on the nest, and sadly seems to be seriously neglecting his duties. So what hope is there for the new day? The best scenario is that George suddenly finds good form again and we can all breath a collective sigh of relief. Of course we have to think about EJ reaching a stage where she is driven to fish for herself and thus leaving the eggs exposed to possible predation. In the current circumstances I would be happy to see EJ fend for herself. 

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Good morning everyone. Thanks for the early reports. I missed the "Booty call"  this morning by 2 minutes, and went back to bed.

Frosty EJ

To allay some concerns that have been raised about EJ's lack of food. When Ospreys transverse the Sahara on migration, they use a lot of energy and can go for 4 - 5 days with no food or water, in hot arid conditions.  EJ has been sitting for 4 days, using little energy and although she has had no fish, she has been drinking as seen from FH. She will not starve or perish from dehydration. She is a wise old bird, who has lived her years by doing what an Osprey does. Her insincts now, are to safeguard her clutch, but she has a strong self preservation instinct too, and when she needs to, she will fish for herself. Soap box moment over.

I'm finding the negative vibes as hard to deal with as EJ's situation, so had to say something.

I will be as helpful as a chocolate teapot today, as I have a MRI this afternoon and as I suffer from claustrophobia, the anxiety has already started :o((

I will try to be helpful while here.

• A thousand likes for that Moffer.     

I am popping in and out and checking up on EJ, but not posting. 

I am a claustrophobic too, so can empathise with your anxiety over your afternoon ahead.   

Close your eyes and think of a beautiful, calming place, (easier said than done though).

EJ is calling quite loudly now.  

• EJ is calling like crazy

I thought a fish was incoming, but it came to nothing

• Good morning my fellow Ospreyholics.

Thanks for all the updates etc. Looks like the situation continues. Poor EJ must be fed up with the lack of fish. As I said yesterday I'd be happy for another male to claim the nest and pair up with EJ. I know the downside of this is eggs being lost and its probably going on too late for a second clutch but rather that than see chicks starve

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Little bouts of calling. It's very windy

• moffer said:
    To allay some concerns that have been raised about EJ's lack of food. When Ospreys transverse the Sahara on migration, they use a lot of energy and can go for 4 - 5 days with no food or water, in hot arid conditions.  EJ has been sitting for 4 days, using little energy and although she has had no fish, she has been drinking as seen from FH. She will not starve or perish from dehydration. She is a wise old bird, who has lived her years by being doing what an Osprey does. Her insincts now, are to safeguard her clutch, but she has a strong self preservation instinct too, and when she needs to, she will fish for herself. Soap box moment over.

Thank goodness for a sensible post.

moffer said:
    I will be as helpful as a chocolate teapot today, as I have a MRI this afternoon and as I suffer from claustrophobia, the anxiety has already started :o((

You have my sincere sympathy.  Limpy is similarly afflicted.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• There is often debate about how long an osprey can survive without food or water on migration. Well we can answer that with certainty in that it is at least 16 days. How do we know this? Well we have seen the  young osprey  Blue UV  spend 16 days in the desert.

Now when an osprey is on migration is  using different metabolism to normal so EJ could not last as long in her nest incubating. However she is free to stop any time she chooses.   

• Checking in before I begin my day. Thanks, Tiger for the info that osprey are on a different metabolism while migrating. I did not know that, but it makes sense. SYAL.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Sincere good wishes for this afternoon, MOFFER!  Having been the filling in a ten-ton sandwich (open sides, so not nearly as bad as an MRI) I can almost imagine the horrible experience.

Not a lot to catch up on, unfortunately :(

Early break reported by PATILY and MARY:

EJ gusted over, reported by MOFFER:

Another gust, but only knocked sideways this time:

Mike B said:
    The more likely scenario, in my view, is that he has bonded with another female and that is his priority nest.

If GJ is "Twiggy", then he was with CT6 last season and she was seen here in April... wasn't she?  Or do I remember wrongly?

IMAGICAT