DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Sunday, 06 May 2018

Another morning and daytime was spent in stress, tension, frustration, despair...

EJ certainly had a very stressful start to the day, it's a wonder her voice didn't wear out!  Intruder(s) not seen on-cam.

(Per Moffer)

When she wasn't shouting she was watching and waiting:

(Per MaryGK)

Later in the day EJ appeared to have managed a dip - let's hope that rinsed out some of the biting mites ;)

GJ deigned to turn up with clumps and/or for mating attempts, then, at 23 minutes past 7 in the evening! (should have been that time in the morning, GJ!) he arrived with a very respectable brown trout (thank you, Bucky).

(Per me)

However, EJ was gone 35 minutes max - please may she have eaten it all and not lost any.

Some discord yesterday, as everyone has their own way of dealing with what we all know to be a poor situation for our very precious heroine, EJ :-*  We've been thru worse, and mutual support will carry us thru - to who knows where?

========================

The Daily Update is for recording nest events only, allowing for banter, though—any questions or conversations can happen on the Osprey Chat thread. Thank you!

IMAGICAT

• Evening all, have been out all day and now caught up. I see that the fellow has still not brought any fish today or has he helped with the incubation. Oh dear what is he up to I wonder, we don't know as he is not seen by the VC either, has he indeed another nest with a lady friend, or is it that he is indeed a young inexperienced Osprey. I hope it is the latter and that hopefully over the next few weeks he will get better and once the chicks hatch, that may give him a much needed kick start in looking after the young. She is such a good mum with so much patience, what an Osprey, so special to us all. We all love you EJ.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• moffer said:
    If the forum members think I am cold and unemotional

Never in a million, BILLION years.

moffer said:
    I do appreciate everyones view, but don't comment. If I start, I'm afraid that the floodgates will open.

I know exactly how you feel.

moffer said:
    We are all different, but have one common affection, and that is EJ.

All we can do is watch her while we have her.  I know there are people on this forum who are disappointed that she returned - I can't imagine why as I'm struggling to think of a female who could have shown the determination and strength that she has this season (and last season, and 2015).  Watching the seasons play out is an emotional rollercoaster for us all but it's something far more significant for the ospreys.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• moffer said:
    If the forum members think I am cold and unemotional...

I've got a very bad memory but have no trouble remembering your deep distress on more than one occasion.

The fact is, no matter what we think, there is nothing we or anyone else can do.  Some of us choose to monitor and post "events" thru thick 'n thin, so that the record is there for posterity - even if emotions will need to be redacted ;)

IMAGICAT

• Clare Bailey said:

All we can do is watch her while we have her.  I know there are people on this forum who are disappointed that she returned - I can't imagine why as I'm struggling to think of a female who could have shown the determination and strength that she has this season (and last season, and 2015).  Watching the seasons play out is an emotional rollercoaster for us all but it's something far more significant for the ospreys.

Totally agree with you there Clare. 

It is only because we care so much about EJ that emotions run high, and I must admit to being the emotional type when it comes to EJ, it is such a joy to see her return and follow her every move each day, so cannot help but feel so sad that things are not going well for her.   

We all just want the very best for her, of that there is no doubt.  

• Good Night Moffer, I doubt if we will see a fish tonight now.  

• EJ has turned her back on us now, but looking quite relaxed.

Night all.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I am away also, hope tomorrow is a lot better, with fish for EJ. Goodnight all.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A few captures I took about 10 mins ago, I was hoping it would be G, but must have been something else.

• This nest is certainly asking the questions. 

It is not that unusual for new males not to feed the female. It does not usually last long. "The female should insist on the fish first"

Has George got a second nest?  Probably not. Henry was once accused of that sort of behaviour but it was "not proven"

I think that one of the problems here is that George does not really believe these eggs are his. A Henry would have had them out of the nest in a jiffy. 

George certainly wins the prize for ensuring the eggs are fertilised. 

I am fairly optimistic that it will work out. The male usually steps up his fishing efforts when chicks arrive. 

• Goodnight Moffer.

She's flown... but straight back.

IMAGICAT