Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife - Glaslyn Ospreys – MAY 2018

Link to last post on Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife - Galslyn Ospreys – April 2018

Summary of the season so far:

Mrs G arrived back 1 April and Aran on 5 April.   The pair are currently incubating three eggs - #1 laid 19 April, #2 laid 22 April and #3 on 25 April and are due to hatch later this month.

• Unknown said:
    As I understand it, there are no regulations about who may erect a nest nor about where they may put it nor how it is constructed.  But once the thing is up, then permission must be obtained to knock it down.

Blimey.  Assuming you're right (which I am) that's just ridiculous.  Some sort of rule should apply when it come to putting up these essential structures for what is a Schedule 1 bird - it's not like popping up a nest box for blue tits!

Unknown said:
    Unfortunately, if the BGGW Glaslyn group applied to have the Pont Croesor nest removed, the landowner or the group which erected the PC nest could presumably just say no.  I believe something like this situation did happen awhile back, resulting in the situation today.  Poor 5F.

Poor 5F indeed.  Glaslyn did apply to have that platform removed - I gather both landowner and platform owner refused.  They wouldn't even have it relocated.  Are they sitting and watching as this fantastic bird lays eggs she is destined to lose?  I don't know how they can live with themselves.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I saw someone ask how far away the nest is and it's 2.2 kilometres away, as seen on GW.

All of the information is on the Glaslyn Website.  I also read that as the PC nest is classed as active, a licence would be needed to for it to be removed. 

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• The sad thing is that 5F has decided to keep coming back to the Glaslyn area, even if the platform was removed, she probably would keep coming back just like Blue 24 does at DYFI, thankfully it seems that B24 has gone elsewhere this season, all we can hope for is that 5F does the same next season.   

It is still heartbreaking though that she has made a successful migration, but will probably not rear chicks.   

• Aran doing his morning duties

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• mrs G back on the eggs and turning them for a bit, settling back on them clockwise

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• Fish @ 11:15

• One on nest and one on R hand perch Can't see which way round

• Many thanks, Everyone, for the pics and posts and to Starling for digging out the distance between the two nests at Glaslyn and the BGGW statement about the PC nest.  Yes, Mary, the PC nest is closer to the BGGW's visitor centre than the actual BGGW (Glaslyn) nest.  From the right spot at the VC you can see the PC nest without binoculars while even with a scope the Glaslyn nest is still tiny when viewed from the visitor centre.  It is a bit confusing that the BGGW visitor centre is called the Pont Croesor (like 5F's nest) Visitor Centre.  Possibly not confusing for Welsh speakers since presumably the PC name refers to the geographical location of both 5F's nest and the BGGW Visitor Centre (on adjoining land).  The river locally is the Glaslyn.

Kind regards, Ann

• I am not sure if it it still there, but for a few years there was a nest platform pretty close to the present Bassenthwaite nest, put there by the farmer who owned that land. Not wanted by the Osprey Project,for reasons we know. Luckily it has not been taken up by any ospreys, or other birds, in fact!

• Mrs G sleeping soundly (I wish I was LOL)

The camera has zoomed in very close.

© BYWYD GWYLLT GLASLYN WILDLIFE