DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest~ Saturday 28 April 2018

Awwwww....Is she dreaming about George? GJ? JG? Geo? No, she just opened her eyes at the thought before shutting us out again. Here's Jess' reply to our collective doubts about the name.  © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Maybe it is just in the stars that we must let EJ and her new man define the new name, What about that?

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Karen W said:
    Does the LGM know the first egg is not his and wants another egg?   I feel he should be getting the message from EJ by now?

Perhaps he's just being a rampant young male.  That doesn't just affect ospreys!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I do think he senses one or even two of the eggs are not his.  He was in the nest cup scraping - was he trying to kick them out or nest scraping.  It was hard to tell.

But I'm off now - SYAL

• We will all get used to George eventually.  I hated when LF15 was named Lassie.  I couldn't even type it at first and used LF, but now well it's her name, it's what everyone knows her by on here and that is what a name is.

• Starling said:
    I hated when LF15 was named Lassie.

Limpy was the same.  I actually don't mind the name - it's easy to say and affectionate.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I venture to suggest that the last thing this nest needs is another egg. This male is clearly very young and he will need to significantly up his game to provide for two/three chicks if that is what we get. Personally if it turns out to be only two I think it would be a great result to get them to fledging. Three might be a bonus but I believe there are risks on the evidence to date.

• Morning all. The man of the house is doing a few chores, but not breakfast.

• Here he is again, with a stick:

One of the highlights of watching ospreys is when a male tries to place a stick as a female incubates:

Shades of His Gorgeous Magnificence:

• Hi, Cathy!

• Karen W said:

Actually I find these mating attempts from the LGM quite strange as I have noticed here and at other nests that mating usually ceases after the third egg has been laid.

Does the LGM know the first egg is not his and wants another egg?   I feel he should be getting the message from EJ by now?

EJ was mating long before Junior/George came on the scene, so they are in different phases.  Well that's a theory I have mentioned a couple of times over the past several days and nobody responds to me *pout-sulk*. 

That's why I'm worried that George's *sigh* routine may be disrupted and he may not fulfill his fishing obligations.

I always hope that if I express worries I'll get egg on my face when they turn out to be misplaced ;)

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I'll get egg on my face

Hopefully not osprey egg, scylla!